Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Name: Lycanthropy
    Circles: Death, Biomancy
    Description: Transforms a normal sized, living humanoid unit into a group of werewolves. Werewolves are resistant or immune to normal weapons, have a strength and hit-point bonus, and are considered to have magic weapons themselves.

OK, this could be kind of interesting. For one thing the resulting werewolves could depend on the type of unit it was before the spell was cast. I can see it being Death, but it could also be Water because of the idea of adaptation/transformation. This may not be the only way we put werewolves in the game, but it is interesting.

What do you guys think?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Were-creatures are a staple of fantasy. This sounds good to me. I'm torn on Asmodai's wanting multiple types of were-creatures. It might be cool, it might be a nightmare.

My lean ATM is to have generic Werewolves that have one set of stats, except for the hit die should be based on the target creature. Maybe also Size (small/medium/large).

I've posted most of my thoughts on this issue in the Lycanthropy anyone? thread.

The main point however was not to say we should have multiple types of were creatures, I'm fine with the game coming with just werewolves (though leaving open the possibility of adding more later is a plus). The main point was that I would prefer werewolves weren't just another unit. That Lycanthropy was in fact a disease that spreads, can be cured, etc. So the spell would be just one way you could infect someone with the disease.

Werewolves are a huge thing in fantasy with entire sub-genres devoted just to them, it seems a shame to me to just turn them into a single unit as MoM did. (same with vampires)

I'm bit concerned that making Lycanthropy a disease with complex behaviour would make the spell costs difficult to balance . The same applies to having different resulting units.
    However.... if Lycanthropy was a disease, and complex behaviours were implemented for diseases in general, this opens up a whole world of possibilities with for other diseases (vamparism or plague or leprosy etc) , making the time investment much more worthwhile. Hope this makes sense.

I do agree with Asmodai that werewolves and a huge fantasy thing - they are damn cool.

Ok, so a bit of a brainstorm on how a 'complex' Lycanthropy could work where it's a disease

Diseases
    Firstly, diseases need general behaviour: thing to consider:
    - Contagion mechanisms
    - Cures (some could be cured by special locations, particular resources, particular creatures etc)
    - Cures could be undocumented, meaning that the player must learn by trial and error (or look it up on the internet...)
    - Benefits, drawbacks & effects
    - Valid hosts (What can be affected)
    - 'Lifespan'
    - Disease categorisation? (Virus, fungal, mental, spiritual, bacterial, magical, parasitical, ethereal (like in lord of the rings when frodo gets stabbed by the wraith))
    - Gestation period (this could add mystery... by the time a player realises there is a disease in his stack, maybe the whole stack gets infected)
    - Carriers allowed? (ie, can the disease be carried by something for the purpose of contagion only)

Lycanthropy as a Disease

Contagion mechanism

1) Lycanthropy spell
    2) A random event?
    3) After combat in which a surviving unit was struck by another unit with lycanthropy, for every time struck, there is a X% chance that the unit catches lycanthropy.

Cures
    1) If it's considered magical, dispel
    2) Cure disease spell
    3) Cure disease hero ability?
    4) Silver (maybe moving onto or next to a location with the silver resource could cure all kycanthropic units, reverting them back to their original form?)

Benefits
    Extra hit points
    Extra attack values (initiative, attack strength, damage)
    Immunity to non-magical weapons (immunity should just give a high defence, rather than total immunity)
    Increased speed / movement
    Increased healing / regeneration

Drawbacks
    Vulnerable to silver weapons (do we have silver weapons in the game?). Maybe vulnerable to mithril or adamantium weps.

Other effects
    Frenzy?
    Blood lust?

Valid hosts
    Must be living
    Humanoids

Lifespan
    Permanent

Category
    Magical

Gestation period
    None (instant)

Carrier?
    No.
    Last edited by ElBandito; 06-28-2013 at 12:17 AM.

OK guys, we're not Dwarf Fortressing it here, lol. I agree that a spreadable lycanthropy is an interesting fantasy element, but we may not be able to fit it intro WoM. It's not that I'm not willing to consider it, that's just not what we're talking about with this spell. This would be a benefits-only temporary-effect spell with a maintenance cost (at least for the strategic version). In technical terms it applies the werewolf template to the members of the target unit at a cost.

So, we like the idea?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    This would be a benefits-only temporary-effect spell with a maintenance cost (at least for the strategic version). In technical terms it applies the werewolf template to the members of the target unit at a cost.
    So it's an illusion then? being temporary?

Arcane Candidate
    temporary werewolf transformation? interesting... I think this is conceptually close to a "jekyll/hide" thing, or even a "berserker" thing, right?
    I think they way you are suggesting it might be too controlled. Lycanthropy is not used in this way in common lore. generally, lycanthropy is more of a chaotic, disease-like concept. a werewolf is usually just as likely to attack allies as enemies (sometimes even more likely to attack allies, as it's kind of a freudian subconscious-turned-dominant beast.

so what I'm trying to say is: if you call this "werewolf", you should include some kind of mechanic similar to "confusion": every turn, the unit rolls against some stat to check if it goes berserk and randomly attacks an adjacent unit, regardless of who that unit belongs to. a single unit dropped into an army of low-level enemies and turned into a werewolf can be really cool, but an army of werewolves is a chaotic bubbling mass that can hardly be controlled at all.

maybe the werewolf unit should also gain some kind of "charge-attack" as if it were a mounted unit. werewolves are usually depicted as unhumanly fast. this would make the whole "might attack your own units randomly" mechanic even more potentially deleterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    OK guys, we're not Dwarf Fortressing it here, lol. I agree that a spreadable lycanthropy is an interesting fantasy element, but we may not be able to fit it intro WoM. It's not that I'm not willing to consider it, that's just not what we're talking about with this spell. This would be a benefits-only temporary-effect spell with a maintenance cost (at least for the strategic version). In technical terms it applies the werewolf template to the members of the target unit at a cost.

So, we like the idea?
    Speaking strictly about the spell I like the idea of casting the spell applying the D20 template to the unit it's cast one. I'm not sure how much of said template you intend to implement though. For example I'm cool with the result being a unit fixed in the "hybrid" form instead of allowing shape changing (although if Druids shape change the heavy lifting for this may already be implemented). Having it a temporary-effect spell with a maintenance cost seems odd to me. Even in MoM the lycanthropy spell is permanent, it was basically a summoning spell that consumed the target unit and replaced it with a permanent summoned werewolf one.

I'd never considered the possibility of the affects being temporary. It does seem a bit odd to me too, but maybe that's just because it's different to MoM.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Permanent is better then temporary in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast