Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imbue with Smiting

Imbue with Smiting

Imbue with Smiting
    Circles: ?, Destruction
    Description: Imbues a unit with the Smite ability so long as upkeep is paid.

I like this spell. I would put it in Life and make it a “smite evil” kind of a thing that did positive energy damage. It would limit the general usefulness, but make it a good anti-undead spell.

What do you guys think?

Seems like you could get a lot of mileage out of this:

Fire Spell: Smite Aquatic
    Water Spell: Smite Flame
    Earth: Smite Wind
    Air: Smite Stone
    Life: Smite Death
    Death: Smite Life

Lots of unit enchantments there with out too much extra coding (I would imagine). These would be nice low-level spells.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    +1 for Troy_Costisick proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Seems like you could get a lot of mileage out of this:

Fire Spell: Smite Aquatic
    Water Spell: Smite Flame
    Earth: Smite Wind
    Air: Smite Stone
    Life: Smite Death
    Death: Smite Life

Lots of unit enchantments there with out too much extra coding (I would imagine). These would be nice low-level spells.
    I like these too, and I think they could be both Strategic and Tactical spells.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I like Troy's suggestion, but wouldn't these be Augmentation spells?

The argument could be made for Augmentation or Destruction. It all depends on how you look at it. If it's truly "smiting" as in it is vs. a particular creature type then it's Destruction. If Smite Aquatic merely makes the target do fire damage then it's Augmentation. Augmentation would be more generally useful, but Vs. could be interesting.

What lore do you guys see behind these spells?

Which circle needs more spells?

I like destruction personally.

I'm going to argue against splitting this into several spells. While I like the idea of populating the spell trees while requiring less coding, I don't think the separation of the spell really helps.

Spells that work against only 1 type of being are essentially useless (IMO). Not only do you have to research each one individually, you also have to manage them in your spellbook. At that point, just cast "Bless" on your unit and get extra damage across the board.

I guess my main concern is that having 6 separate spells that are each useful against only 1 class of thing is confusing and overly complicated. Now, if we called it Augmentation and 'enchanted' the weapons with "earth/fire/water/life/death/etc" magic damage, it's better. That way, extra damage would happen to anyone struck, but perhaps _extra_ damage would be dealt to the opposing creature type.

Ex: Fire Enchant
    vs. Man = 1.1x dmg (+10% damage)
    vs. Water = 1.3x dmg (+30% damage)
    vs. Fire Elemental = 1.0dmg (no bonus?)

It is not, in any way, confusing or comolicated. It also serves to show the relationship among the elemental circles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast