Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mastery Spells

Mastery Spells

OK, a question has arisen that I feel merits debate. Do we want all the “Mastery” spells to have the same effects (+25% power, -25% cost, etc) or do we want to custom cut each one? A template is easy to setup, customization leads to a lot more flavor.

What do you guys think?

Keep them the same that way players can recognize the cycle and no one circle has a perceived advantage over the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Keep them the same that way players can recognize the cycle and no one circle has a perceived advantage over the others.
    +1 to this.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I have no objection to a generic effect for Mastery spells. But I think the Element Circles and the Effect Circles need a different template, at least based upon how the spells have been shaping up.
    The only effect I can see working for all of them would be less mana cost.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I like "one template for elemental circles, one template for effect circles".

I prefer a custom mastery spell for each circle.
    This is in the spirit of MoM.
    The same effect on all mastery spells would feel pretty boring to me.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardagg View Post
    I prefer a custom mastery spell for each circle.
    This is in the spirit of MoM.
    The same effect on all mastery spells would feel pretty boring to me.
    I am also good with unique effects. Troy's concern about one Circle being more powerful than another is mute IMO. One top-end spell does not swing the balance of the entire Circle.

If we go with unique effects for the Mastery spells I think we should wait to see how the spell lists flesh out so that we can see what effect fits in with the spells in that Circle.

OK guys, the dynamic of this has changed a bit, so I think we need to readdress it.

Now we have Mastery Disciplines (and will one day have them in the Wiki...) that reduce casting cost and open more research for the Circles. So, if we want to have a tier 9 mastery spell for each circle we need to shake things up a bit.

It's not going to be enough to have a global spell that just reduces casting cost. Do we want to come up with a mastery spell for each circle that has persistent effects as long as it's in place?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Depends. How bad are we hurting for level 9 spells?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I love mastery spells, but they're very hard to balance, so...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast