Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Shield

Master Shield

Master Shield
    Circles: ?, Protection
    Description: So long as upkeep is paid, the wizard may cancel a single source of damage once per battle, as many times in a turn as there are battles.

This one seems Global to me. (I think I stuck it in strategic because that's what was suggested in the original post. I can't really remember...) Either way, canceling a single source of damage once per battle is a tricky mechanic to handle. Maybe “Absorbs X damage during each battle” or something like that.

Suggestions?

Honestly not a big fan.

As a unit enchant, it might be okay as "nullifies the 1st damaging attack against the enchanted unit (once per battle)" (e.g. a more powerful Stoneskin from AD&D).

I can see how the original mechanic would be tough to implement; I also think it would be distracting during gameplay.

As a unit enchant, it might be okay as "nullifies the 1st damaging attack against the enchanted unit (once per battle)" (e.g. a more powerful Stoneskin from AD&D).
    This is a better idea. If I get a pop-up every time an enemy deals damage asking me if I want to cancel it, combat is going to get bogged down fast. The spell will just be annoying. Nullifying the 1st attack (either for an individual unit or the whole combat) is much better IMHO.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Why not just have Stoneskin then?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Stoneskin just, (At least in modern rulesets) gives you a high amount of DR.

This would totally soak the first that hits a unit in combat, weak or strong. (Which is good when the enemy leads off with a firestorm or earthquake.)

+1 for WyldeRhide's version.

I like it and Stoneskin happens to be a favorite of mine, so you can probably expect to see it as well

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I agree with the UI problem of having to ask the user. What about "the first time, in every battle, a single attack/spell deals more than X damage to one of your units the damage is undone". The X can be specified at casting time. It removes the cubbersome user input, and keep the idea of shielding one "bad" blow per battle.

For the elemental circle, I would say "life" or "earth".

I was just about to ax this one as it's a lot like stone skin, but it could be used as a 1 hit total absorb. In that light it could block ANYTHING, but only once and then it's dispelled. It would need to be VERY expensive though. Either way, does it have enough support to save it from the chopping block?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Caster of the Inner Tower
    "Block the first attack, whatever it is, and then dispelled" sounds fine for me, but the first in what ? The first per battle ? The first per combat turn ? The first per unit per battle ? The cost should greatly depend of this.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Well, the OP version seems like a simple force field which absorbs the first X damage done to any of your units in battle. I actually like that. The unit enchantment which void the first hit is less useful, should be lower cost and lower level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast