Since not all water is in the ocean, here is what I think:

1.Deep Water
    2.Shallows
    3.Swamp
    4.Plains
    5.Forest
    6.Hills
    7.Mountain
    Swamp and Forest are definitely not their own level of terrain.
    Terrain really should get split into a base level with vegetation/climate layered on top. That's how all other games I can think of do it.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 for ampoliros

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Swamp and Forest are definitely not their own level of terrain.
    Terrain really should get split into a base level with vegetation/climate layered on top. That's how all other games I can think of do it.
    How can swamps not be their own level? They're definitely lower than their surrounding terain. That's why they're swamps! -1 to ampoliros.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    You can have a Swamp that is the same level as the grassland next to it. The levels we are talking about are going from flat to hilly to mountainous.

You can have a Swamp that is the same level as the grassland next to it.
    Actually, I'm not sure that you can. Swamps, marshes, wetlands in general form when there is poor drainage in an area- i.e. it's the lowest point and water can't escape. It makes total sense to me that water->swamp is the progression to follow.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I live in the upper midwest. The area here was heavily forested and there were also vast bogs and swamps and the terrain is 95% flat. Very little to be had for hills, and nothing can be called a mountain.

Also if you watched Naked and Afraid, the Panama episode was on an island that had 10 feet of beach, then the rest was swamp. There was no real change in elevation at the point the swamp began - and the swamp was higher than the beach.

We're talking big changes in elevation, grassland -> hill -> mountain. A foot or less transition is negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    I live in the upper midwest. The area here was heavily forested and there were also vast bogs and swamps and the terrain is 95% flat. Very little to be had for hills, and nothing can be called a mountain.

Also if you watched Naked and Afraid, the Panama episode was on an island that had 10 feet of beach, then the rest was swamp. There was no real change in elevation at the point the swamp began - and the swamp was higher than the beach.

We're talking big changes in elevation, grassland -> hill -> mountain. A foot or less transition is negligible.
    Srsly? Naked and Afraid?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 for ampoliros.

Most of these recent spells came from my suggestion based off of this thread:

http://forum.wastelands-interactive....rrain-Dynamics

I've put pretty much all my ideas there and you guys probably don't want me retyping all that again so if you're interested give that a quick skim.

Good feedback. I've got to give the entire "terraforming" thing a good think. I'll try to get to it soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast