Thread: Cleansing Fire

Cleansing Fire

Cleansing Fire
    Circles: ?, ?
    Description: Battlefield attack spell that hits multiple tiles. Undead units are burnt by a mix of fire and positive energy, but living units are healed of negative states as the fire burns away stat damage and exhaustion and the like.

This is an interesting idea, I'm just not sure about it. What element is this? Life I guess, but where does the fire fit in? What effect is it? It kinda depends on who you are I guess. I suppose it could be looked at as Biomancy.

Either way, do we like the idea? Can we tweak it to fit it into the system a bit better?

Well, obviously, this is a fire spell. It's okay. I'm not wild about it but not every spell can be a home run.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I like the idea, but do we really want a healing spell in Fire sphere ? That sounds a bit odd to me.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    How's this tweak...

Cleansing Fire
    Fire / Biomancy
    Tactical Spell
    3x3 AoE. Undead units are burned by a mix of fire and positive energy. All other units have negative states cleansed/removed by the Positive Energy and take Fire damage.

This way it still fits in with Fire destroys and becomes an interesting anti-undead-special-ability spell.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I like the new version, maybe with a bigger AoE ? Well, depends of casting cost and amount of damage done, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    How's this tweak...

Cleansing Fire
    Fire / Biomancy
    Tactical Spell
    3x3 AoE. Undead units are burned by a mix of fire and positive energy. All other units have negative states cleansed/removed by the Positive Energy and take Fire damage.

This way it still fits in with Fire destroys and becomes an interesting anti-undead-special-ability spell.
    Aren't Fire and Positive Energy (Life) two separate elemental spell circles? Rather than shoehorn the Fire element in, why not just consider it "Holy Fire" and use Life as the element? Holy Fire doesn't have to be actual fire... Or maybe Holy Radiance.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Biomancy bridges Life and Death which is how the Positive Energy comes into this spell.

You do bring up a point which was discussed in the public forums as to how Biomancy/Life/Death all relate and is 12 Circles too many? Obviously WI is continuing with 12 Circles, so this kind of spell is a product of that decision. Any further discussion about these subjects should probably go in a new thread.

I'm fine with running with a Fire / Biomancy spell myself.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 for this spell. Fire can heal, it just that it heals by 'burning the bad stuff away' instead of 'fixing the things that cause you pain'.

Why always most spells go directly against undead ?
    We speak of fire here. Which individuum instead of fire elementals will withstand that ?
    So make it damage all living and undead creatures except for creatures made of fire..

Yea, I would rather see it as a Life spell that uses "Holy Fire" (which isn't real fire at all) or a Fire spell that does fire damage. Of course, that may make the effect a little muddled when you consider its curative effects.