Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Release date/Alpha & Beta questions

Release date/Alpha & Beta questions

I want to preface this by saying I am not pushing or asking for something to come out before it is ready. I think you guys should take enough time to make this the worthy MoM successor that many of us have been waiting for. We've been waiting 15 years or more and I for one can wait longer.

I am just curious what kind of a time frame we are looking at. I saw on the main site that we are looking at a quarter 2 release, which would set the game out by at latest June? I've participated in many beta tests where the beta process itself usually runs 3+ months, and I haven't even heard of the alpha starting yet. (if it has?) That would cut things pretty tight as is, so I am just wondering if we could get a status update.

I'm just so pumped for this game!

Baenre

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    it is pretty rare for stuff to release at the time it was planned, sometimes early, but mostly later. if it says Q2 then i'd guess late Q4 or Q1 of the next year. so if that is when the beta comes out, that means 6+ months before the final version, so Q3-4 of next year i'd guess, which works fine with the current personal life schedule i have as i'll probably have a decent block of time at that point. now if they get stuff done faster and release the final in Q1-2 of next year then i won't get to play it when it comes out, unless my schedule gets shifted further away (which is likely).

baenre, I can't give you a firm date yet (for obvious reasons), but we are working on it. (Not much of an answer is it... lol.) I can tell you that we're already testing it in house. We're currently in what I would call pre-alpha testing. A lot of things are in place and working like they should. There's just a great deal to this game and we have to try to get everything worked in before we give you guys Alpha access. To be frank, some of you may feel it's more like a Beta by the time we get it to you. That won't really be the case, there's just a lot to get implemented and we have to make sure all of it is at least represented before we have you guys start testing.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Thanks for the update Aaron.

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    Now that we have your attention, Aaron... I was wondering if this is still accurate for implementation-

Options:
    “Will there be variable lengths of game? (Marathon/Epic/Fast, and so on)”
    Almost certainly. What this will entail exactly is still undecided, but the concept has full dev support.

It's a biggie for me I like to play very sloooooow games over days (I almost always play marathon on Civ games)

they have non-marathon options?

We plan to have non-marathon options, lol.

At this point the size of the universe is going to define, to a great extent, how long a game lasts. We may add other tweaks to speed up the game in time. However, you don't need to worry about slowing it down. Slow is the default setting, lol. Seriously, "slow" is just how 4x games naturally play. That's not to say we won't add options to speed things up, but they may or may not be in the initial release.

If you like quick games you can play small games to start with. After all, that's how it worked in MoM.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

pandora plays fast for a 4x game. it doesn't feel right due to that though. MoM i felt played fast (aside from magic research) for a 4x game (civ games can hit 1000+ turns without dragging your feet).

end of game for each speed setting in Civ 5:
    Marathon = 1500 turns
    Epic = 750 turns
    Standard = 500 turns
    Quick = 330 turns

as for time:
    civ 2 = 8-27 hours
    civ 3 = 25-80 hours
    civ 4 = 8-24 hours
    civ 5 = 30-424 hours
    MoM = 6 hours

edit:
    SMAC = 30 hours
    personal time for pandora when playing on large maps and slowest speed = 4-6 hours
    Last edited by jamoecw; 03-15-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Pandora wasn't fun enough to be worth the money used to buy it.
    The Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Pandora wasn't fun enough to be worth the money used to buy it.
    true, but they call it done even though they are still working on the game. if you play on anything but the smaller maps (even the biggest seems too small already), the balance of stuff is way off and things don't work properly (the balance makes MoM's balance look perfect).

that being said they have some cool ideas like semi random tech tree and migration, but they built it for a 1-2 hour game. if you play with standard settings it plays like a 1-2 hour 4x game should, but an hour long 4x game isn't worth $20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast