Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The In-Between Elves

+1 to Troy's Grey Elf idea, tho I wouldn't mind calling the Sylvan-Wild elf dichotomy either.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    I agree. I don't like these conglomeration sounding names.
    I agree as well. I'm not a fan of conglomerate sounding names either but that's because I'm not a fan of conglomerate factions BUT in this case aren't "in-between" elves supposed to be a conglomerate faction? Again I'm not real clear on what "in-between" is supposed to mean but as "Unique" was a different choice I take it to mean in-between High and Sylvan elves or in other words a conglomerate of the two. If that is the case then the name DOES seem to fit.
    Does "Elves" need to be part of the faction name?
    Personally I think the naming of races should be consistent. I argued with the High Men that they should use some name with flavor instead, something like "The Kingdom of Elestria" or some such name (ok, that name sucks but you get the idea). That idea was shot down and people wanted to stick with generic names like "High Men" so in that case it doesn't make sense to me to have a generic name like "High Men" and then a flavorful name for the "In Between" elves.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    In-Between does not mean an alliance of Wood and High Elves. It is it's own distinct culture, IMO. I think it won the poll because people want a unique elven faction that has it's own flair.

I know Aaron does not want this to be a culture discussion yet, this thread is about the Units first and foremost. We can worry about the name in the next thread. "IB Elves" works for me for the time being.

What are elves in general - what traits to ALL elves share? How do these traits equate to units?
    • slender and graceful (yes, even Drow are graceful)
    • long lived
    • agile
    • master craftsmen (each culture focuses on one craft, apparently)
    • particularly good with bows

What if this faction split from the norm and uses crossbows instead?
    Why does the mage have to be a Sorcerer or a Druid? Why not a prestige class that draws upon more than one kind of magic?

Is WoM going to absolutely not repeat a unit name? So IB Elves can't have Swordsmen?

How's this for units...

No engineer unit - instead faction template adds some sort of pathfinding, maybe just a remove terrain movement penalty

Pioneer - settler
    Skirmisher - basic swordsman that can ignore ZOC
    Rangemaster - basic crossbowman with a minor range bonus
    Hart - Light cav / scout unit (a deer stag)
    Initiate - basic adept
    Ranger - mid-level all-around unit which gets full pathfinding
    Faradrax - elite melee unit see post above
    Archmage - prestige mage - comes with the MoM Disrupt spell for breaking down city walls
    Elven Elite - elite mounted unit with crossbow and longsword

In-Between does not mean an alliance of Wood and High Elves. It is it's own distinct culture, IMO. I think it won the poll because people want a unique elven faction that has it's own flair.
    Sorry but this makes no sense to me. The original poll had an option for "Unique" in addition to "In Between". If people wanted "A unique eleven faction that has it's own flair" Unique was the option to pick, not "In-Between" (I would have preferred unique over in-between, though I really wanted High or Sylvan.) "Unique" lost though, it didn't even make the run off. "In Between" is some sort of mix of High and Sylvan elves. Now I agree it doesn't mean it has to be a mix of High Elf units and Sylvan Elf units... each individual unit could have some qualities typically associated with both High or Sylvan elves instead and yes in the lore it could be explained in such a way as to make it a single distinct culture but it is not supposed to be "Unique" it supposed to be "In Between" High and Sylvan.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by zdsdead View Post
    This may sound really stupid, but what about calling them " Elves"
    I shall go ahead and second that. If there are no other elves in the world, then our elves wouldn't feel any need to distinguish themselves from anyone, no? I just makes perfect sense naming them just "Elves".

Quote Originally Posted by Kimyrielle View Post
    I shall go ahead and second that. If there are no other elves in the world, then our elves wouldn't feel any need to distinguish themselves from anyone, no? I just makes perfect sense naming them just "Elves".
    I'd agree with this, if they truly are the only elves. If not, I would also be ok with grey elves, though maybe we can try something more... interesting? I'll post if i think of something that fits.
    Malleus the Magician + Fang the Draconian = OP

Enlightened Elves
    World Elves
    Fair Elves
    Prime Elves
    Keen Elves
    Illuminated Elves

How about Silver Elves? High Elves could be Gold Elves and Sylvan Elves could be Bronze Elves.

I'd prefer to keep forest bonuses, Rangers, Druids, etc. for Sylvan Elves (and if someone has stag mounts I'd prefer them to be Sylvan as well but I'm not a fan of Stag mounts).
    I'd prefer to keep Archmages, Wizards, Wizard/Clerics, mana generation for High Elves

So here is a unit list:

Settler
    Engineer
    Spearmen - Leather Armor + Spear - basic pre-smithy unit
    Swordsmen - Chain Shirt + Longsword + Steel Shield
    Archer - Chain Shirt + Composite (Elven) Longbow + Longsword
    Horse Archers - Chain Shirt + Composite (Elven) Longbow + Longsword on Light Warhorse
    Priest - Chain Shirt + Longsword + Steel Shield (Cleric with Longsword as God's preferred weapon)
    Sorcerer - Robe + Longsword (native arcane casters like Sylvan Elves)
    Ballista

All their units are in light armor so they move faster than most plus the mounted range attack unit.
    More flavorful names could be used...
    I think that's all the slots available but if they get another maybe a Two-Weapon Fighter (not just a NPC warrior) based unit (longsword + shortsword)
    At least 6th level, with 17+ Dex and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

Quite frankly your ideas don't sound in-between at all. No wizards??? WTF???
    Your ideas put the ki-bosh on anything other than Wood and High Elves.

Just because they are a separate culture does not mean they have NOTHING in common with other elves.

Elves elves elves, why they have to have elves in their description.The unhallowed have also a Name without undead in it. I still propose something like Keeper of Light or similar things!

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast