Thread: Raise Volcano

Raise Volcano

Name: Raise Volcano
    Circles: Fire, ?
    Description: Makes a volcano on any land tile.

It's a classic. We do need to decide what volcanoes do exactly.

Thoughts?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Raise_Volcano

Well the MoM version destroyed any minerals, reduced food, gold and production to zero, and generated 1 mana for the caster. Also, if cast on a city would destroy some buildings.

I'm good with all of that except I think if the volcano is lowered the mineral should come back.

The classic MoM formula is probably a good place to start. I agree that taking away the volcano should bring back the mineral resource.

Of course, I'm not sure about the mana generation really. I never really got that in MoM. I'm not sure what the idea was. I can see volcanoes giving nearby cities a production bonus depending on whether or not the race can build a "magma forge". I can also see it as a weapon to use against your enemies. I just don't get the mana angle...

Anyone have more to add?

Volcanoes could have a chance to fire an event that they erupt. Erupting volcanoes could destroy nearby improvements (roads, forts, etc.) as well as resources and maybe even give a chance of spawning new resources (fertile soil to to volcanic soil, mineral deposits, etc.)

I had the volcanoes as a race specific requirement for draconians to enable them to build a fire temple to make the fire breathing variety of draconians.

I could see volcanoes as something dwarves might want for a magma forge or some specialized building.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    Volcanoes could have a chance to fire an event that they erupt. Erupting volcanoes could destroy nearby improvements (roads, forts, etc.) as well as resources and maybe even give a chance of spawning new resources (fertile soil to to volcanic soil, mineral deposits, etc.)

I had the volcanoes as a race specific requirement for draconians to enable them to build a fire temple to make the fire breathing variety of draconians.

I could see volcanoes as something dwarves might want for a magma forge or some specialized building.
    +1 to all these ideas.

Another thought is there could be a fire spell that when cast on a volcano allows that volcano to act as a mana fount.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post

I like these ideas also.

Maybe even like Mt. Doom you could destroy items at a volcano. Like if you're High Men and you want to destroy an unholy or cursed relic you'd have to take it to a volcano. If you're Undead (or Dark Elves?) you might take a holy item to a Volcano to destroy.

I'm just trying to throw out ideas here... I admit I haven't thought them all through fully.

Those are all fairly good suggestions. (Not sure about the item destruction myself, but we can think about it.) I really like the random event one

Either way, volcanoes are justified ergo Raise Volcano is justified.