Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More Tactical Spells

Arcane Candidate
    I am a long time fan of powerful spells, so if my suggestions are off the charts feel free to balance them. Also i haven't had the time to look through all the spell lists so there might be spells already done.

Also im pretty confused to where i am supposed to post suggestions as there seems to be three/four different places to do so. Anyway posting it here for the time being

Spell flow
    Augementation

Creating a small dimensional pocket around himself where time does not flow the caster then may cast up to three spells that then will activate all at the same time. Howewer the cost is steep and any spells cast this way cost three times more than normal and cause damage to the caster because of high physical and mental strain

Cage of water
    Water/Destruction

The caster envelops one enemy unit inside a cage of water, the victim slowly drowns and is unable to act other than by attempting to break free. (Some form of save roll each turn)

Firepit
    Fire/Summoning

The caster summons up to 3 hidden pits of fire, when a victim steps on the affected spot they fall in and they may not take any more actions that turn. They also suffer fall and burn damage on the first turn followed by constant fire damage unless they manage to climb out (Another save roll per turn)

Savage spores
    Life/Earth

A horrifying spell that infects victims with spores that will grow with tremendous rate through magic enhancements, the victim suffers internal damage for two turns. On the third turn they erupt and spread the spores to any nearby (1/2 hex around victims) to begin the cycle anew. (Fortitude save to resist the effect? Eruption at third turn lethal or simply high damage?)

Nice ones. Keep on suggesting spells. Any that don't make it in the game in the initial release will probably make into a future expansion/DLC.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Murder of Crows.
    Summons a Flock of Crows.
    Reduce range attacks by x and does some minimal damage.

Frost Chains
    Chains of Ice wrap around the legs, making the target unable to move.

Chaos Balls.
    Explodes causing high damage to initials target, Ball of chaos bounce of the battle field cause random damage, for x turns.

Arcane Candidate
    Couple more ideas then

Vorpal Blade

Augementation/Death(?)

Caster enchants one targets weapon with deadly energies, the targets critical hit chance is doubled and any critical hits cause bleeding damage for three turns

Electrical charge

Air/Destruction

The caster picks two victims and charges them with electrical energies, the result is a lightning bolt discharge that travels from the first victim to the second and damaging anything inbetween.

Spectral Swords
    Augementation/Destruction/Summoning?

The caster chooses one target that will be accompanied by several spectral blades, the blades can either attack together with the user or strike any nearby hexes around them. Lasts for X amount of turns.

Shadow army
    Summoning/Necromancy

The caster commands dark energies to form into shadows, three random units in your army has a shadow copy created. The shadow copies are only half the strength of the originals and are tremendously weak towards life magic.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    We're at the end of Tactical spells now too.

Battlemage
    Blur
    Water/mentalism
    Tactical spell: all attacks against allied units have 20% miss chance.

Notes: a simple tactical combat spell. First seen in my obscuring mists strategical city enchantment.

-------------

Lava Font
    Fire/destruction
    Tactical spell: creates a lava font at target square that persists until end of combat. Each round a burst of fiery projectiles launch from the font striking random squares nearby. Additionally any unit occupying or passing through the lava font suffer fire damage.

Notes: Fire! Chaos! Screaming burning units... mwahahaha
    Last edited by Beregar; 10-04-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Battlemage
    I went through tactical and strategic spell threads and I think I found most air spells that have been proposed:

Antifly
    Turbulence (air/dest): battlefield; antifly with channel cost
    Vacuum (air/dest): AoE antifly bubble
    Downdraft (air/summoning): unit antifly

Augmentation/protection
    Blur (air/aug): battlefield; attacks against units have 10% miss chance
    Counter Magic (air/prot): battlefield; triggered magic counter (arcane?)
    War Wind (air/aug): battlefield; archery enhancement
    Still Air (air/prot): battlefield; shield from "weather" effects
    Invisibility / Mass invisibility (air/aug): unit(s) invisible (MoM) --> maybe strategic as well?
    Spell Flow (air/aug): unit; cast extra spells

Damage
    Call lightning (air/dest): battlefield; random lightnign strikes (MoM) --> in game as lightning strike now?
    Tornado (air/dest): AoE random movement/damage (MoM tornado?)
    Arc Lightning / Chain Lightning (air/dest): unlike to be separate spells

Strategic spells which should have tactical counterpart or have effect on battlefield.
    Guardian Wind (air/protection): unit has missile immunity
    Wind Walking/Flight (air/aug): unit gains flying
    Haste (air/aug): Unit acts more often in combat
    Resist Magic (air/prot): Magic resistance (arcane?)
    Wall of Air (air/prot): City enchantment but all attacks against units behind wall have 50% miss chance

-------------------------------------------------------
    Seems air has plenty of defense when combining strategic and tactical spells and many anti-air spells but lacking in offense and most of those spells are unit level spells or very random. I've to think about this but a few new proposals for now:

Slow / Mass slow
    Air/Mentalism
    Tactical unit/AoE spell: affected unit(s) loses half of its action points each turn unless they succesfully resist the spell.

Static Discharge
    Air/Biomancy
    Tactical Unit Spell: Surge of static electricity stuns units in target square unless they succeed in a save.

Lightning Surge
    Air/Destruction
    Tactical Unit spell: A massive surge of lightning inflicts damage to target unit and has a small chance to disintegrate weaker units outright.

Notes: My view on air is that its damage is mostly done on focused high damage packages instead of large AoEs. I also connect stuns and blinds to air. Finally control of speed, range and mobility is the last part of air. These spells reflect that.
    Last edited by Beregar; 10-05-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Beregar, first let me welcome your input. We need more people who are interested in advancing the spells.
    Second, you need to know that these threads are discussing spells that have been proposed. WI may or may not use the spells that have been discussed. (Indications are that most of the spells that have backer support have Aaron's support as well, tho he may tweak them.)

Battlemage
    Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Beregar, first let me welcome your input. We need more people who are interested in advancing the spells. Second, you need to know that these threads are discussing spells that have been proposed. WI may or may not use the spells that have been discussed. (Indications are that most of the spells that have backer support have Aaron's support as well, tho he may tweak them.)
    I'm a bit confused here. I thought these threads are for proposing new spells after which you move a few of them to specific spell threads for discussion and potential approval? If these threads are not for those where (if anywhere) I should propose new spells?

OK, sorry for the confusion, I guess I should have said these sub-forums.
    It sounded initially like you thought all the spells being discussed were in the game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast