Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out of the Ether

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Well, that's why you can right click on names of effects to see what they can do. Or should be able to at least.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I think the idea is that "help" is coming out of the ether. How? You're a smith and go to grab your hammer where you didn't set it down, but it's there anyway. You're a farmer going out to plow a field and it's already plowed when you get there. You're a cook and find a bag of flour in the pantry you can't explain. So on and so forth.
    This description doesn't seem like it would add unrest. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but unrest goes with Fire. I'm confused why unrest wasn't welcome when we were discussing Fervor and all of a sudden unrest is OK.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I don't know about anyone else, but the reason I remember not liking unrest for Fervor was because I imagined it as making people very passionate about serving in your empire, which isn't something that would cause much unrest in my view.

Where things just appearing out of, well, thin air? That spooks people.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Where things just appearing out of, well, thin air? That spooks people.
    Unrest got shot down with Unseen Servants too. And Aaron's description makes this spell sound like a localized version of Unseen Servants.

I realize unrest is a negative thing and in general people don't want to increase it... But as a trade off when you're getting a great boost in production one or two of the spells which increase production should have some sort of trade off. I really do think unrest goes more with the Fire based spell. I mentioned cracking-the-whip in the Passion/Fervor discussion. Troy mentioned Crack the Whip in this discussion. Multiple backers have given the lore to place unrest with a production boosting spell.

I think the spell that gets the unrest, the lore needs to support it. I don't think unrest follows with the description of this spell.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I agree with ampoliros that "production bonus + unrest" is great for a Fire based spell, but not so mcuh for a "unseen servant" variation.

IMO, if something is caught out of ether, it must be a "life" spell.
    I think life/augmentation fit

OK, I'm back to this one. You've made some fair points there. What if we cede the unrest point for Fervor and give it a higher production bonus. Then "Out of the Ether" or whatever we call it can have a lower production bonus and no unrest. If we want to pitch a Life version of the spell it can actually reduce unrest. (We can balance it with maintenance cost or a smaller bonus or both.)

Thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    OK, I'm back to this one. You've made some fair points there. What if we cede the unrest point for Fervor and give it a higher production bonus. Then "Out of the Ether" or whatever we call it can have a lower production bonus and no unrest. If we want to pitch a Life version of the spell it can actually reduce unrest. (We can balance it with maintenance cost or a smaller bonus or both.)

Thoughts?
    The mechanics sound great. But the lore for this spell needs lots of work for it to make sense.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12