Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: <Element> Bolt

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar

<Element> Bolt

Name: <Element> Bolt
    Circle: <Element> / Destruction
    Description: Deal X elemental damage to a single unit. Add Y damage per Z additional mana spent.

Bolt spells, very traditional and must have, IMO.

I agree that a simple spell like this for each element has it's place. But I don't think "<x> Bolt" works as a naming convention. "Life Bolt"? "Air Bolt"?

The effects can stay the same (or be slightly modified based on the element... for flavor)
    Energy Beam (Life) -- +% chance of blind effect
    Compression Wave (Air) + % chance of knockdown
    Fire Bolt (Fire) -- + %chance of fire DoT

etc.
    etc.

I agree about the names, I was trying to think of some sort of generic way to name the discussion. I also think Bolt spells can be lumped into one thread, as some other spell types have already been lumped together.

I also agree that _some_ of the Bolt spells may have a secondary effect.

To be fair, the suggestion was originally...
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    -Shock bolt: (Life or Fire/Destruction) deals 1 electrical damage +1dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    -Water bolt: (Water/Destruction) deals 3 impact damage +1dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    -Fire bolt: (Fire/Destruction) deals 5 fire damage +1dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    -Iron bolt: (Earth/Destruction) deals 7 impact damage +2dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    -Lightning bolt: (Life or Fire/Destruction) deals 10 electrical damage +2dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    -Death bolt: (Death/Destruction) deals 13 negative energy damage +2dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    -Magma bolt: (Earth and/or Fire/Destruction) deals 15 fire damage +3dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    -Doom bolt: (Death/Destruction) deals 20 negative energy damage +3dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    I personally don't like the progression of base damage. I've never understood why games have a hierarchy of how powerful the elements are. I am not saying that all the Bolt spells must do equal damage. I am saying whatever damage they do should make sense and not be arbitrary.

Doom Bolt in particular I'd like to see keep it's MoM effect of doing a flat damage that cannot be resisted.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I think we need more variation, not a spell that just does X damage and that's it. We need various different effects, like in MoM we had the fire bolt that has a lower base cost than the lighting bolt, but lightining bolt was armor-piercing, or like in AoW where cold damage freezes unit, fire damage can ignite them and inflict damage over time, ...

Having for each element the same spell, just changing the type of damage, sounds boring and greatly lowers the strategical importance of chosing one element or another in the "new game" phase.

I love bolt spells and I feel all elements should have at least some kind of bolt spell.

Personally, I'd rather not see every element have a simple direct damage 'bolt' spell. Part of the point of the different circles is to give variety and and force you to make different choices. Giving all a bolt spell goes against this in my view.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    If we want to differentiate them, here's a few tries at that.

Life : Starbolt
    Takes it's inspiration from Star Fires of MoM fame, Starbolt is just a basic bolt spell.. that happens to do extra damage verses evil alignment targets.

Fire : Fireball
    Do I need to explain this one? Fire burny AOE damage. Boom.

Water : Frost Bolt
    Strike a target with ice damage and freeze the ground underneath him/her/it, making it slippery.

Earth : Sandblast
    Ranged Touch attach slashing damage, to get around annoying units with very heavy armor and shred them up.

Air : Gale Bomb
    Blast an area with low damage, and all units hit must make a reflex save or be knocked over.

Death : Doom Bolt
    Deal X damage to the target. No, you don't get to make a resist roll.

(Some people will wonder why I didn't do lightning bolt for Air.. the answer to that is that we already have several suggestions with lightning, from my Arc Lightning to GeneralGonzo's Chain Lightning idea. So I figured another type of air blast would be ok.)

I like the suggestions for Fireball and Gale Bomb, but this thread is supposed to be about single target damage spells.
    (Monday was planned for AoE damage spells).

Starbolt - what constitutes an evil target? If we have an answer I like this spell.
    Frost Bolt, Sandblast and Doom Bolt are all great spells.

Lightning Bolt is an odd one. It's sort of both single target and AoE at the same time. I like the Lightning Bolt version that hits all targets in a straight line. Maybe Lightning spells need their own thread since they "arc" instead of hit a usual area?

I do find Troy's suggestion of Iron Bolt intriguing. I like the bludgeoning damage vs. Earth damage.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Starbolt - what constitutes an evil target? If we have an answer I like this spell.
    Well, it appears I was to subtle with calling out a DND thing. Ampoliros, do you play DnD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Life : Starbolt
    Takes it's inspiration from Star Fires of MoM fame, Starbolt is just a basic bolt spell.. that happens to do extra damage verses evil alignment targets.
    The key word there is alignment. Alignment is a thing in DND that can be detected and targeted. Their are two 'poles' in the alignment system, the Chaos-Order and the Good-Evil alignments. (You also have neutral in the middle. Neutral/Neutral, also called true neutral, is what most animals are.)

Like how Smite Chaos lets you be extra mean against chaos creatures, Detect Law lets you find people who are lawful, and Protection from Good shelters you against the heroes, Starbolt would do extra damage against targets with an Evil Alignment. (IE, Chaotic Evil, Neutral/True Evil, and Lawful Evil).

Though to be fair it could also just be harder to resist when used against evil targets, have a chance at dazing evil targets, inflict fairy fire on evil targets when it hits, or lots of other things. The base idea is that it's extra good against evil targets. (And if you want a very direct replica from MoM, Chaotic aligned targets too)

I understand what alignments are. I also know that WI is unsure if alignment is making it into WoM, hence my question. So if there is no official alignment system, what will Star Bolt do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast