Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Other titles "similar" to MoM while waiting?

Other titles "similar" to MoM while waiting?

Hello,

I hope I wont get bashed, because I would like to talk about "not" WoM.

All I read here sounds fantastic, and I am really looking forward to finally lay my hands on WoM. But anyways what can I play in the meantime?
    I would like to build a list of games that are similar to MoM, or a
    list of other "strategic turn based games with a fantasy background". Both current, or older...

I would like to start with:
    ( I would also like to add a personal rating)

Played:
    - MoM (obviously) - the ultimate
    - AoW (Age of wonders) - not my game it felt "slow"
    - Warlords II - simple, but I like to get back to it
    - Heroes of Might and Magic III - better than all the other Homams IMHO, played it A LOT
    - King's Bounty: different Versions, similar to HoMAM - nice game, in the end a bit long winded
    - Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes - the newest of the Lot - only reason to power up Windows on my Mac, good game!
    - Etherlords (II) - liked it, since it introduced TCG like battles!

Not played:
    - Warlock: Master of the Arcane (I bought it, but have not played it yet)
    - Masters of the Broken World (found it with google, havent played it - anyone?)
    - Disciples I-III (haven't played 'em - anyone?)
    - Fantasy Wars (haven't played 'em - anyone?)

Regards

Malban

Most of you didn't see this post when it was made days ago. It's due to our little forums change. Anyways, "See it now!" (<- Who can tell me where that quote was from? Nobody... I'll give you a hint: "Standard nerds!". Now, get back on topic!)
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Not played:
    A good game, but unfortunately quite shallow. It's like a mashup of Fantasy Wars and Civ5. However, the result is neither a robust 4X game like Civilization (or MoM for that matter) nor a challenging tactical game like Fantasy Wars. But it's fun.
    - Masters of the Broken World (found it with google, havent played it - anyone?)
    GREAT game. Quite frankly, my favourite strategy title since Heroes 3. The ultimate timesink. It isn't really that deep and it's really grindy at times, but the gameplay is top notch and you really don't want to stop playing. Recommended. You can grab it for almost nothing here.

It's a very controversial title. Some love it for great art design and uniqueness, some hate it for tactical shallowness and grind. For me, battle system is fundamentally broken but the game still is fun to play.
    Not a strategy, but a tactical game. It's good at what it does, but it's a pity that there are only two (and a half) factions to play.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    There is also Fall from Heaven which is quite good too, it's a civ4 mod (free but you need civ4 and all expansions) that gives a full fantasy flavour to civ4, including heroes units and spellcasters.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malban View Post
    Not played:
    I like Warlock mainly because I love Majesty 1 and 2 and the fact that Warlock _eliminated_ any issues with having lots of cities. Warlock doesn't have the depth of most 4X games, so the replayability is lower, but is definitely worth playing.

I have its predecessor, Genesis (which is much the same game). I really like the gameplay in Eador, but the campaign is excruciatingly long. Supposedly MotBW shortened the campaign.

I have at least one of them (and tried them) but they didn't hold my interest.

Horrible, horrible game series (and the Elven Legacy series too). They're playable for the beginning of the campaign, then the difficulty just ramps up way too fast. Basically, you have to be tactically perfect AND have the favor of the random number generator gods to have a chance at these games.

You mentioned TCG. Try SolForge which is now in open beta on Steam and the Apple App Store. It is a free to play deck building game that's similar to Spectromancer, but better IMO.

You can still play Warlords 2? How?, I haven't found a DOSBox package for it. I love Warlords 2. It was the first game I ever modded. I made my own unit lists.

An open source game which plays similar to Fantasy Wars, but some of the campaigns are balanced way better is The Battle for Wesnoth.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower Morak's Avatar
    Warlock: Master of the Arcane - General gameplay is simple but fun (IMO). Hex map. It has a spell system similar to MoM. Terra forming spells can radically change a map. Instead of armies you have individual units. Combat occurs on the main map where archer/spell caster units can shoot a certain range across the map. They have a feat system where as a unit levels you select abilities from a list available and that gives the units special abilities some units get unique feat abilities (regeneration, cleave, etc.). Structures built in cities are placed on the map around the city. Therefore terrain may be a requirement and may either add bonuses or negatives to the structure. Some building require a resource to be on the map in the city's range to be built. Shipyards can only be built on coastal hexes. Etc. Quest system is strait forward (monster appears on map go kill it, Build building x). Some quests grant you favor with certain gods which will grant you access to unique spells and units.

Eador. Masters of the Broken World - is different. Units are either garrisoned in a territory or travel with a hero. There are only four hero classes and you will probably not have more than three Hero's (you purchase heroes when you want them) on any shard. Once you get past the tutorial you enter the game within the game. The world was broken into shards. You are a divine being trying to conquer shard pieces and reform the world. The heroes are mortals who you have invested with your power. You exist in the astral. Your Heroes fight in the material (shards). There are other divine beings trying to do the same as you. On each shard you will need to conquer one or more lords to win that shard. No matter how many turns it takes you to do that only one turn will have passed in the astral. Magic in the game is used mostly on the battlefield. There is a feat system for leveling units but the available choices are more random and limited to one of two options at each level. You will only have one fortress (city) on a shard. You will be able to build structures in other territories on the map but they function mostly as territory modifiers (+income, +mood, troop recruiting). This was not what I was expecting but I enjoy a lot.
    Last edited by Morak; 08-21-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Horrible, horrible game series (and the Elven Legacy series too). They're playable for the beginning of the campaign, then the difficulty just ramps up way too fast. Basically, you have to be tactically perfect AND have the favor of the random number generator gods to have a chance at these games.
    That's weird. I don't consider myself a tactical genius, and yet I managed to finish the two main campaigns without too many problems. It was challenging, hard, yes - but not unfair or unwinnable. Plus, the RNG is very limited - it's mostly your decisions that matters, unlike Wesnoth (which also has absolutely atrocious artwork).
    Last edited by Hoverdog; 08-21-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Try "Majesty" 1 and 2, they are Fantasy Kingdom simulators with a "different" outlook to controlling your units. You do not give them specific Orders, instead you (as the King) place Markers with Gold Bounties around the map (or on Monsters). If the bounty is high enough one of the heroes in your town (Building placement and Stuff is still player controlled) will go explore the area / fight the Monster. Bounty earned they spend in your town on improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    That's weird. I don't consider myself a tactical genius, and yet I managed to finish the two main campaigns without too many problems. It was challenging, hard, yes - but unfair or unwinnable. Plus, the RNG is very limited - it's mostly your decisions that matters, unlike Wesnoth (which also has absolutely atrocious artwork).

I am with Hoverdog on this one. I enjoyed playing these, and I don't think I am a tactical genius.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    you forgot lords of magic, an old game that is kinda like an early version of the total war games, only in a fantasy world with magic and such (made by the people that did lords of the realm 1&2 if you like those then you'll probably like LoM).

there's king arthur (again more like total war), a newer game, is about as similar to MoM as fantasy wars or eador, so not too much, but it is a fantasy turn based strategy game with a heavy presence of magic (though mainly for just battles). more of a puzzle game in a strategy game's skin if you get my drift.

i've played most of the games mentioned thus far, and i'd say that the 4x style of MoM has yet to be matched by any title, but fallen enchantress has come the closest, even if it is a far cry from MoM.

i haven't played:
    the civ4 mod
    warlords
    etherlords
    warlock
    solforge

as for your question about fantasy wars, while the is fantasy, it is more of a puzzle game. you find out what goes where, which unit to attack whom and you win. if you try to do something clever based on given knowledge then you are punished, unless it happens to be what the designers wanted you to do. things are very predictable and the maps are hand made so there is a set way to win them, the ai just waits for you to do stuff and operates off of simple scripts.

disciples is a turn based game, build up your hero and your city, then hire some high tier units and win the scenario, easy if you grind, very hard if you don't. the strategic maps are small so you don't really get to use much in the way of strategy. overall fairly bland gameplay.

eador (both genesis and MotBW as they are nearly the same game) are about gold efficiency, build either barbarian or bandit as your first unit, then build the structures for the heavy units. fire your cheap units and hire your expensive ones, gain gold via loot. rinse and repeat for every shard. plays out like a puzzle game.

overall there aren't many good fantasy games that are turn based strategy type. once you get out of the fantasy genre you get better strategy games, the key pitfall is the idea of tactics (or lack thereof). tactics is about adapting to a situation, which means the ai has to do something to make you react. scripted sequences is about memorization, which is fine if you want to tell a story, but not so great for a strategy game.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast