Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Other titles "similar" to MoM while waiting?

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    I'd like to see some of your opinions on Heroes of Might and Magic III. I'm considering buying it and I'm not sure whether to buy it or not. Are the other games in the series good? I can buy the whole series (except 6) on GoG for around the price of a newly released Xbox 360 game.

I'll give you a list of which turn based strategy games I have played when I have time to do that, but I have to leave soon.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post
    I'd like to see some of your opinions on Heroes of Might and Magic III.
    Speaking solely to HoMM 3, it is definitely the best one of the series, especially with the 2 expansions. Things are balanced, the campaigns are enjoyable. It's just a great game.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Heroes is a very fun game and I can waste hours playing it.

Here is the list of which turn based strategy and pauseable real-time strategy games I've played, and which ones I haven't, Please tell me more about the games on the "Not Played" section.

Played:
    Advance Wars (Game Boy Advance game)

AI War Fleet Command, All Expansions (Real time, but it is pauseable and can be pretty slow-paced, depending on settings)

Age of Wonders (Best Story, Atmosphere, and Music by far)

Age of Wonders Shadow Magic (Easiest AI is definitely too hard for me)

Civilization 3, All expansions (My first TBS game. Civ 3 has my favorite graphics out of any TBS game)

Civilization 4, Beyond the Sword expansion only (The civ games aren't focused on war, you can win easily without it)

Civilization 5, Everything but the latest expansion (Attacking enemy cities is too hard, war is not that fun in civ 5)

Endless Space, no Disharmony (Best UI I have seen so far)

Fallen Enchantress (Fun game, but the lack of Elves is really annoying.)

Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate Edition (My favorite TBS game)

Heroes of Might and Magic 1 and Chronicles

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, with Expansion (My second favorite TBS game)

Played, but never finished a game:

Age of Wonders 2

Eador Genesis

Master of Orion 2

Total War series, except the first two games.

Strategic War in Europe (I can't seem to get an army powerful enough to fight Germany. I am playing the USSR on the easiest difficulty, and all other countries are on the hardest difficulty.)

Bought, but not played yet:
    Master of Orion

Crusader Kings II (Real time, but it is pauseable and pretty slow-paced)

Eador: Masters of the Broken World

Europa Universalis III (Real time, but it is pauseable and pretty slow-paced)

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes

Heroes of Might and Magic series (except 1, 6, and chronicles.)

Space Empires IV Deluxe

Storm over the Pacific

Warlock: Master of the Arcane

WW2 Time of Wrath

Not Played:
    Master of Magic (I'm not playing it until after Worlds of Magic is released.)

Heroes of Might and Magic 6 (Not buying because of Always on DRM, and no random map generator.)

Warlords series (Never heard of it before now, please tell me more about it if you can.)

King's Bounty (Never heard of it before now, please tell me more about it if you can.)

Etherlords series (Never heard of it before now, please tell me more about it if you can.)

Disciples I-III: (Considered buying before, decided not to buy.)

Fantasy Wars (Never heard of it before now, please tell me more about it if you can.)

Fall from Heaven (I don't download mods.)

The Battle for Wesnoth (Never heard of it before now, please tell me more about it if you can.)

Lords of Magic (Never heard of it before now, please tell me more about it if you can.)

King Arthur (I absolutely hate Arthur, Camelot, Knights, Medieval Europe, etc. so I will not get this game.)
    Last edited by Endless Rain; 09-02-2013 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Updated List

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post

Lords of Magic (Never heard of it before now, please tell me more about it if you can.)

King Arthur (I absolutely hate Arthur, Camelot, Knights, Medieval Europe, etc. so I will not get this game.)
    Lords of Magic Special Edition is what i would suggest trying. it is a fun turn based game with a set map that has 8 different nationalities that are always in the same place, you pick one to start, and build up your army by training new recruits at your main city and then clearing out random dungeons around your city to get stronger.

Eventually you leave your starting area and run into stronger and stronger enemies, you can meet the other nations and conquer or liberate them. The end goal being to defeat Balkoth lord of death.

The 8 factions are Life, Death, Order, Chaos, Earth, Air, Fire, Water. I would suggest you start with Life, they are elves that you will probably like. Do not start Order. They are based on King Arthur/Camelot. (I enjoy them, but from what you have stated, you probably wouldn't

Hi again,

some responses :-)!

First Warlords II.
    I dont think at the moment you can get it somewhere "officially" - on GoG there is Warlords III, but I allways preferred Warlords II.
    As I bought Warlords II, Warlords II Deluxe and something called Warlords II Scenario Builder back in the days (yes I am that old!) I was not really ridden with scruples when I "found" it on a some dubious internet site as a DOSBox package.

Lords of Magic.
    WoW, yes I forgott it. I played it but cant remember it. Is that good or bad :-)?

HoMaM III
    Apart from a certain MMO that is probably the game I played most of all PC games.
    Virtually hundreds nay thousands of hours. Either alone or HotSeat with a friend of mine (You should also watch a movie playing hotseat, since the other player might take his time...)
    Defenitly the best of the serries, lots of good expansions. Lots and lots of user made maps and even a very sophisticated User Expansion (Wog, btw I think that was also made by Polish programmer, hurray to Poland!), which adds new units and artifacts, buildings and spell changes.
    All of the HoMams are turned based stratagy games. There are 8 factions, which might form alliances.
    There can be random generated maps or user made maps or "linked" maps as campaigns.
    All cities are fixed, so the only way to expand is to find other cities and conquer them, there are no settlers.
    You play as the leader of your kingdom and recruite heroes. An army allways consists of exactly one hero and a couply of troups. Troups can be build in cities. Cities can build different structures (one per term as long as you have the required resources). Once a week new troups arrive in the buildings and you may hire them (one time gold expanse). You can get resources mainly from mines: Gold, Crytals, Mercury, Sulfur...
    Each of the 8 factions have different city types with different creatures - I allways liked Titans :-)!
    The heroes have different abilities. Each ability has three levels I think the maximum of abilities might be something like ten (you learn more as your heroes level advances) like : Logistic (more movement), Intelligence (more mana), Pathfinding (better movement in hard terrain) and so on.
    The hero also has 4 stats: Attack, Defense, Intelligence and Spellpower which can be raised by level gain or visiting certain structures (starts with 0 and may go up to 99), since the hero does NOT fight himself the stats influence all his troups instead.
    Spells:
    All (ok - most) spells are cast by heroes. Not all heroes can cast spells! Each hero can have spellbooks from 0 to 5 (you can learn). Each spellbook represents a spelllevel. There are combat spells (classics like: slow, haste, magic arrow, lightning...) and strategic spells: summon boat, dimension door, town portal
    Spells are divided by "elements" air, fire, water and earth. Heroes can specialize in these spell types, which (neat!) changes spells! e.g. The town portal spell transports you to the nearest town. If you specialize in earth magic, it teleports you to a town of your choice.
    e.g. II Resurrect: cast in combat resurrects you troups (depending on your spell power) but after the battle the troups are gone, meaning the resurrect spell lasts only for the combat - if you do not specialize than the resurrected troups are kept alive!...

Ahm, Ok, you see by the length of that passage... that Im still in love with HoMam III.

So - Endless Rain: Get it while you can! I also liked HoMam II a lot, did even make a couple of maps myself. But everything after HoMam III was not the same anymore. I Probably was to disappointed to give them a real chance...

HoMam - still not finished...!
    There is a program called "Palm Heroes", which is available on different mobil devices.
    As the name suggests it originated on a Palm.
    But it has been ported to iOS. It looks a bit dated, but it is a nearly identical replica to HoMaM II.
    If you like HoMam you might enjoy it on your mobile.

Fallen Enchantress
    You mentioned it - it is noteworthy that there is a difference between
    Fallen Enchantress and Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
    If you only played the former I beg you give legendary heroes a chance, although still no elves - it has developed into quite a good game!

Master of Orion
    I must confess I have not played them in years, but these are absolutly great games. Number II even more so. If you have got some spare time - give the a try. (Hey, but I still rather recomend Homam...)

Warlords (again)
    The warlords series is really old - it started with a Amiga version.
    It is a nice straight forward, nowadays you would call it "simple" turn based strategy game.
    I think it might have been (Warlords II) one of the first games you could "mod".
    Building own units and maps. It was rather complcated to build troups importing the graphics and converting them,...
    Perhaps look at: http://www.freegameempire.com/games/Warlords-2-Deluxe
    (actually I just found that site, if it is a warez site, I'll remove the link)
    There is also a user project ongoing "Freelords" which tries to resurrect it - but I think it might be vaporware :-(

One last remark:
    Kings Bounty
    That game is more than insprired by HoMaM.
    (Note that the first game of the Homam developers was also named Kings Bounty - and these are NOT the same!)
    In general one could say this is a graphical updated version of HoMaM.
    BUT: it only has one gigantic map with a campaign story.
    It plays a lot like Homam but has a dedicated storyline, many passageways must be discovered or enabled by quests. It also features underground dungeons. etc.
    I liked it a lot, but the whole thing has a strict path you must follow. There is no room for your own strategy or discoveries - there is a storyline to follow. Fullstop.

ok. enough rambling.

Regards

Malban

Thank you so much Malban! I'll buy HoMM 3 after I finish my two games I'm playing now (Civ 3 and Strategic War in Europe), and finally try Legendary Heroes and the Master of Orion games.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Lords of Magic is another classic. Definitely check it out
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    lords of magic, you pick a faction to lead, which is based on a type of magic. your opposed school and death cannot be liberated and brought under your control. the early game starts with you in control of a hero and some weak units, you fight and get stronger then liberate your faction's temple, which causes your capitol to swear allegiance to you. you then can upgrade buildings and assign some of your champions to be teachers at your unit production buildings. next you go out and liberate other factions' temples and get them to swear allegiance to you. your opposed faction and death do the same (or raze the other factions denying them for everyone). there are villages at the borders between lands which can be used to gain units you'd otherwise couldn't have (again may be razed). you research spells at libraries and such, find artifacts, typical fantasy stuff.

the battles are pausable realtime battles, in them you can capture other heroes with a rogue, cast battle spells as a mage, sneak around as a rogue, or rally troops as a warrior. terrain both in battle and on the overland map affects your units ability to move, each faction has a terrain that they get movement bonuses on. your land contains mostly your factions land type, and you will eventually get the ability to terraform via spell. they have boats, and they can fight each other. there are roaming monsters, lairs, dungeons, and an evil super champ to defeat (the death faction's champ).

a good game, though old. the list of good fantasy non rts strategy games is pretty short, this game is on it. like most old games you can pick it up on gog.com, you might wait for a sale or not, but you won't have to pay much for it.

battle for wesnoth is an open source game, and thus free to play, and has poor graphics (though old games have poor graphics anyway, so that shouldn't be a big deal). it is just tactical maps with hexes, you can take villages to get gold for more troops, and you buy troops at castle tiles attached to a keep tile that your leader occupies. at first it seems that some factions are better than others, but then you find out that you can change the way you play with other factions and make them quite strong, resulting in one of the most balanced asymmetrical turn based games out there.

there are campaigns as well as skirmish modes of playing, as well as multiplayer. the campaigns feature a story and a set of tactical maps in sequence filled with scripted events and a preset enemy army. the campaigns are rated by difficulty, one of the easier ones has you playing elves, which is probably why it is largely considered the easier factions to play (it is the faction you learn to play the game with).

if you get into this game then other games will bug you that either they are symmetrical (stronger numbers always wins, same benefit from terrain, etc.) or that they are horribly balanced. one of the better fantasy tbs games out there, despite its lack of breadth (only tactical battles).

the short list of non rts fantasy strategy games that i consider good that are on your list (i haven't played all the games on your list):
    MoM
    LoM
    BfW
    FE:LH
    AoW series

it is a short list, though there are a lot less fantasy strategy games than sci fi or historical.

i haven't played the galactic civilization games much, but i'd say that alpha centauri is perhaps the best 4x game done so far that i have played, and since you like galciv2 better than AC yet think it is pretty good then i will check it out, so thanks.

I only like GalCiv 2 better because you get to choose how many factions there are at the beginning. In Alpha Centauri there are always seven factions, including yourself. I also can't run AC's expansion on my main computer, so I have to use an old laptop to play it, which is kind of annoying. If both of these problems were fixed, I would like AC better.

If there are any good non-fantasy Turn-Based Strategy games not on my list, I would like to hear about them. I like fantasy TBS games only slightly better than Sci-Fi ones, and prefer both to historical games (Especially ones that focus more on historical accuracy than balance or good gameplay). I don't like RTS games nearly as much as turn based ones, mostly because I find base building tiring.

p.s. why do you never use capital letters, jamoecw?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast