View Poll Results: What name do you think the human faction should have.

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • High Men

28 71.79%
  • Humans

5 12.82%
  • High Humans

0 0%
  • Other

6 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Men name discussion

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar

High Men name discussion

The "What is your least favorite faction?" thread has been getting too off topic, so I decided to make this thread. Please keep all discussion about the name of the High Men on this thread, not the "What is your least favorite faction?" thread.

Link to Off-Topic Thread: http://forum.wastelands-interactive....vorite-faction
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

I think High Men makes more sense than just humans. In MoM there were Nomads, Barbarians, and High Men. All were human races but each was distinctly different from each other and so the naming made sense

Likewise in WoM, I hope that even if not in at launch, we will get some of these old favorites back and thus keeping the name of High Men makes sense here as well.

I voted other. I'd prefer the "Races" be named something like "Kingdom of Gondor" or "High Kingdom of Eralon" not "High Men" or anything with "Human" in it. There will be different human cultures coming later in DLC (such as Nomads and such, which are also humans). Note if it's not clear I don't mean those names specifically, I just mean a flavorful name such as that as opposed to a description of the species.

I think that makes sense in many games, where there are pre-defined kingdoms and maps with borders and history. If WoM is going to have all of that I think it is a good idea.

If it is going to be more like MoM with a random world every time and not a lot of back story on where races came from, I think it would be out of place for these humans to be from a certain kingdom, especially if every race doesn't have a place where they hail from.

i.e. " We are the mighty knights from the kingdom of Gondor where we have held back the might of the evil lord Sauron for centuries who might you be?" in reply " We are the dwarves"

I think it does have potential if a history and meaningful background is thought up for every race, but if not all, why just the High Men?

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    I voted other. I'd prefer the "Races" be named something like "Kingdom of Gondor" or "High Kingdom of Eralon" not "High Men" or anything with "Human" in it. There will be different human cultures coming later in DLC (such as Nomads and such, which are also humans). Note if it's not clear I don't mean those names specifically, I just mean a flavorful name such as that as opposed to a description of the species.
    +1. I forgot that there would be more human cultures, and I would change my vote from Humans to Other if I could. BTW, is "High Kingdom of Eralon" a name you created, or is it from another setting. It's a pretty good name.

Also, I think the Nomads should be a combination of Humans, Halflings, and Elves. Not all factions need to have only one race.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    > I'd prefer the "Races" be named something like "Kingdom of Gondor" or "High Kingdom of Eralon"

That's not compatible with the MoM way of having independent cities, and maybe even another wizard, using the same race. If we name a race with the name of country/empire, that it means once the race is chosen by a wizard, there is no more of this race in the game, and I don't think it's a good idea.

+1 Kilobug

Also, I don't want to run a Kingdom of Gondor. Technically, any city you conquer would become a part of the Kingdom of Gondor regardless of what race inhabited that city. Plus, I'd rather have my "Kingdom" named for me.

MoM is based on races, not factions. Factions could work using the "Kingdom of" mechanic, but races don't.

I'd prefer races be called species, since that's what they really are.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

As I understand it, races are born of species variations. So, if an orc and a human can reproduce, they're actually the same species and different races.

Neither "race" or "species" is really going to be 100% accurate: if we have High Men and Nomads, they're clearly both human and not separate species; if we have insectoids, they're clearly a different species than High Men.

"Race" is just a hold-over from games way back to D&D. I'd say you could make the argument that "race" is appropriate since the playable populations can be considered a subset (or race) of each one's species.

Acolyte
    Quote Originally Posted by baenre View Post
    I think High Men makes more sense than just humans. In MoM there were Nomads, Barbarians, and High Men. All were human races but each was distinctly different from each other and so the naming made sense

Likewise in WoM, I hope that even if not in at launch, we will get some of these old favorites back and thus keeping the name of High Men makes sense here as well.
    I agree to your comments. Keeping some of the race names from MOM will help give us the spiritual successor flavor the devs have touted and we desire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast