University
    War College
    Builders' Hall
    Maritime Guild
    Miners' Guild
    Smithy
    Sawmill
    Shipwrights' Guild
    Now, I don't know what might be missing because the undead wouldn't have that kind or building and what art has been ordered yet, but I hope there's still some time to add to this list. I could not find "Buildings" on the wiki.

Missing buildings from MoM that I noticed:

Wizard's Guild
    Forester's Guild
    Animist's Guild
    Bank
    Mechanician's Guild
    Barracks
    Granary
    Farmer's Market
    Market Place

Most of these are missing, I suspect, because the undead wouldn't have them. That's cool. What concerns me, though, is that there is nothing really new here. Nothing different from MoM. I want to stick close to the original, but that doesn't mean I don't want any innovation. I hope to get two things from this thread: one, some clarification from Aaron on what buildings from MoM will/won't make it in, and two some debate on what new buildings should be in/what old buildings should be tossed out? I'll begin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I believe having a Shipyard, Shipwright's Guild, and Maritime Guide are overly redundant. At least one of them can go, probably the Shipwright's Guild. The things that building used to do could be split between Shipyard and Maritime Guild. That frees up at least one place for a new building. Barracks, Armorer's Guild, Fighter's Guild, and War College also seem to be treading the same ground over and over as well. I think Armorer's Guild could probably go and we wouldn't miss it. The importance of a Barracks would then grow, since I feel it should do most of the things the Armorer's Guild used to.

So what buildings would I like to see?

-Merchant's Guild: There should be another economy-boosting building between the Marketplace (simply available after building the Smithy) and the Bank (which requires the much longer/harder build-path through the University). With up to seven planes to conquer, we need more gold generating buildings to help us sustain our armies.

-Butchery: This is a high end food producing building. It would require at least the Library, Stables, and Farmer's Market. Again, we will need lots of armies to cover lots of ground. That means having access to great food production.

-Infirmary: Increases healing rate for all units garrisoned inside. Requires Barracks, Shrine, Temple, and Forester's Guild (maybe Animist's Guild). May allow Ranger units if that's going to be a unit for any faction.

-Organic Gardens: Produces food and lowers city unrest. This would require Animist's Guild and Farmer's Market.

-Fishery: Improves food and gold production from water squares near the city (this is like a Forester's Guild for cities stuck on small islands, especially one tile islands).

So, what do you guys think about buildings?

Peace,

-Troy
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 08-24-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    For one, the Merchants' Guild was the top end econ building in MoM, not all races got it.

I agree that money will be key (less so for Unhallowed). Whatever buildings we do get, the bonuses will get tweaked (I'm sure) through playtesting until things feel right. Throwing extra buildings at the game that do the same purpose seems superfluous. You already want to carve out superfluous buildings from MoM.

The Infirmary is the one building you presented that actually innovates. I would like to see that one.

For one, the Merchants' Guild was the top end econ building in MoM, not all races got it.
    Egad, how did I miss that?

I agree that money will be key (less so for Unhallowed). Whatever buildings we do get, the bonuses will get tweaked (I'm sure) through playtesting until things feel right. Throwing extra buildings at the game that do the same purpose seems superfluous. You already want to carve out superfluous buildings from MoM.
    Good point, but the buildings I want to eliminate don't change any of your empire's stats. They just unlock units. How many of those are really necessary? Conversely, the danger in just ramping up how much gold a Market or a Bank gives you is the sudden jump in production. The first person to get their Bank done, for instance, would have a massive advantage for a few turns. Massive enough that it might not be able to be overcome when the other players get their Banks finished. Having a building in between smooths out that progression and keeps the game fair. Same for food, production bonus, and mana making buildings.

The Infirmary is the one building you presented that actually innovates. I would like to see that one.
    Thanks! I like it too. I would also argue that the Fishery is innovative on one level since MoM had zero buildings that improved what you got from water tiles.

I love building buildings. It is my favorite part of 4x games. I don't want to get rid of any of them but I do want some new ones for sure. I would like to see at least five new ones maybe up to 7. I like the three new ones Troy suggested, but they're a little generic other than maybe the Infirmary. We do need something like the Fishery for sure. But anyway, I'm rambling. I really like buildings and +1 to having new ones.

Here are some ideas:

Trading Post: +20% (random number, would need to be changed for balance) to gold production in a city, with a further +X% for each city in the empire connected by road, capping at a certain percentage.

Wagoner's Guild: doubles the area that the city pulls special resources from (coal, deer, adamantine, etc.)

Seer's Hut: chance to reveal a portion on the map on any plane (2x2 or 3x3 square) every turn. A poor man's nature's lore, or just for the fun of seeing what it reveals.

HUGE +1 to Wagoner's Guild!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baenre View Post
    Here are some ideas:

Trading Post: +20% (random number, would need to be changed for balance) to gold production in a city, with a further +X% for each city in the empire connected by road, capping at a certain percentage.

Wagoner's Guild: doubles the area that the city pulls special resources from (coal, deer, adamantine, etc.)

Seer's Hut: chance to reveal a portion on the map on any plane (2x2 or 3x3 square) every turn. A poor man's nature's lore, or just for the fun of seeing what it reveals.
    Trading Post is a really great idea. Though, I might suggest that ALL of its gold bonus come from augmenting roads. This would make it really unique from MoM, since MoM never had a building that did exactly that.

I like Wagoner's Guild, though I would expand its ability to include all tiles, not just those with special resources. Honestly, I think this might be one thing that would appease both the City Spammers and the Anti-City Spammers. Those who love cities will like being able to build bigger and more powerful ones and people who hate it won't have to build as many cities since they can control more ground with one. In MOM, a city got a 3x3 area, right? Would this expand it to a 5x5 then? That'd be one extra tile all the way around. Having these things would definitely make taking over seven planes much more feasible, IMHO.

I don't care for Seer's Hut. That is more of the realm in Magic. Maybe it's an upgrade to the Oracle building? Even then, it's kinda meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    In MOM, a city got a 3x3 area, right? Would this expand it to a 5x5 then? That'd be one extra tile all the way around. Having these things would definitely make taking over seven planes much more feasible, IMHO.
    MoM had 4x4 minus the corners. I think it would be a cool building, but it will also depend on how city area ends up. I know there was talk in other threads of having city squares increase with population, outpost buildings or other things.

Yeah the seer hut is kind of out there. I think it is not ideal if you have spells that can help you reveal the map, but if you don't have the school for that, it might help.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Actually, MoM cities has a radius of 2. So 5x5 minus the corners, also called the "fat plus".

The leading plan for cities was for them to start with a 1 tile radius and grow to a 3 tile radius. (Not official yet.)

I think the Wagoner's Guild should add 1 to the Ctiy's radius, not double it. But I do really like it.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I like the Infirmary and the Road Only version of the Trading Post.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast