Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buildings in WoM - Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    That's a long way to go for such a non-essential game action.

That's a fair idea. Obviously, the Pawnbroker couldn't be a pre-requisite for other buildings as some people wouldn't want to risk the unrest.
    That would work for me.

Okay, so let's make a list real quick to recap. I'll be modifying some of them based on feedback and further thinking. I'm not proposing we add A TON of new buildings, just a few to make this a different enough game from MoM so WoM is not accused of being a fancy clone. (in alphabetical order)

---Proposed New Building List---

-Butchery: This is a high end food building. +4 food per turn. Increases bonus from Wild Game by 50%.

-Fishery: Improves food and gold production from water squares near the city by 30%.

-Infirmary: Doubles healing rate of all units garrisoned inside this city. Requires Barracks and Temple.

-Pawnbroker: Increases city's gold production by 15% but causes +1 unrest. Requires Market and Library.

-Trading Post: Increases this city's gold bonus from roads by 20%.

-Wagoner's Guild: Increases this city's area of influence by one square in all directions.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I can see some factions having an upgrade to the Infirmary that does a full regen, not just double heal. Not sure what the upgrade would be called.

EDIT: or instead of an upgrade, a straight up replacement that does full regen.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    I can see some factions having an upgrade to the Infirmary that does a full regen, not just double heal. Not sure what the upgrade would be called.

I like that idea, but it would have to have a massive upkeep.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar

i would give it to he less arcane heavy factions (like elves maybe) that have bonuses to mana income, as it should be for a faction that wins with units over spells. as details get hammered out about the factions i'd be able to be more specific, but for now i'd say high men, maybe dwarves too, though they have some bonus or something that helps their faction along over the whole kill everything with mana strat.

-Trading Post: Increases this city's gold bonus from roads by 20%.
    I haven't heard anything from the design team if there is going to be a bonus from having roads nearby at all, so a 20% boost to the bonus from roads may not work. If they do, say +2 gold per road square or something this might work.

My original idea on this building was for it to give you a percentage increase for every city you connected. So in the beginning, it might give your city a +10 or +20%, but as your empire expanded, it could go up to 60-100. I also think if it worked that way, there should be a cap on high end so as not to abuse the mechanic.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by baenre View Post
    I haven't heard anything from the design team if there is going to be a bonus from having roads nearby at all, so a 20% boost to the bonus from roads may not work. If they do, say +2 gold per road square or something this might work.

My original idea on this building was for it to give you a percentage increase for every city you connected. So in the beginning, it might give your city a +10 or +20%, but as your empire expanded, it could go up to 60-100. I also think if it worked that way, there should be a cap on high end so as not to abuse the mechanic.

What do you guys think?
    You make a good point in that we have not heard what all the road mechanics are yet. I like this building, so maybe we keep our options open?

Excellent idea. I'm all for this sort of thing! I think I have an idea that might work (see below).

Quote Originally Posted by jamoecw View Post
    i would give it to he less arcane heavy factions (like elves maybe) that have bonuses to mana income, as it should be for a faction that wins with units over spells. as details get hammered out about the factions i'd be able to be more specific, but for now i'd say high men, maybe dwarves too, though they have some bonus or something that helps their faction along over the whole kill everything with mana strat.
    I would think the low hit point races would be best for this building. It's really a defensive building, so it could help balance out those races. So factions like the Grey Elves, Dark Elves, and Insectoids who don't get a lot of HPs would certainly get a full regen building (and maybe humans since I think they should get to build everything). While Dwarves, Orcs, and Draconians (and maybe humans) would just get an infirmary.

Quote Originally Posted by baenre View Post

What do you guys think?
    Good point. I wonder if Aaron has had any time to think roads at all?

So, let's revise the list I made above:

-Butchery: This is a high end food building. +4 food per turn. Increases bonus from Wild Game by 50%. Requires Farmer's Market and Sage's Guild (someone has to teach the butchers how to properly harvest a carcass)

-Fishery: Improves food and gold production from water squares near the city by 30%. Requires Farmer's Market and Shipyard.

-Infirmary: Doubles healing rate of all units garrisoned inside this city. Requires Barracks and Temple.

-Pawnbroker: Increases city's gold production by 15% but causes +1 unrest. Requires Marketplace and Library.

-Rejuvination Chamber: Replaces Infirmary. At the beginning of the turn for this city's controller, all units garrisoned within the city are regenerated to full health. Requires Infirmary, Sage's Guild, and Parthenon.

-Trading Post: Increases this city's gold bonus based on roads (exact method TBD). Requires Marketplace.

-Wagoner's Guild: Increases this city's area of influence by one square in all directions. Requires Stables.
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 09-04-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    I would think the low hit point races would be best for this building. It's really a defensive building, so it could help balance out those races. So factions like the Grey Elves, Dark Elves, and Insectoids who don't get a lot of HPs would certainly get a full regen building (and maybe humans since I think they should get to build everything). While Dwarves, Orcs, and Draconians (and maybe humans) would just get an infirmary.
    it won't help units survive a battle any better, but it would increase the rate you could send out survivors to get more exp, resulting in higher level units. if elves are like MoM elves, then you can cast all sorts of spells like stone skin, heal, or even magic weapon to make the units better without the need to level them up. now if magic is a potent force (as it should be) then you don't have to do that since you can just cast some super damaging spell to kill the enemy outright, resulting in less damage to the unit to start with.

insectoids aren't a mana producing faction so i would imagine that they would have that option to the same degree of the elves, so it would make sense for them to have the unit preservation building (instead of relying on spells). if elves get the building then they will have essentially every advantage, which doesn't work out too well (unless they are balanced to need to use all the extra mana they produce to break even with the other factions, which would be silly).

Quote Originally Posted by jamoecw View Post
    it won't help units survive a battle any better, but it would increase the rate you could send out survivors to get more exp, resulting in higher level units. if elves are like MoM elves, then you can cast all sorts of spells like stone skin, heal, or even magic weapon to make the units better without the need to level them up. now if magic is a potent force (as it should be) then you don't have to do that since you can just cast some super damaging spell to kill the enemy outright, resulting in less damage to the unit to start with.

insectoids aren't a mana producing faction so i would imagine that they would have that option to the same degree of the elves, so it would make sense for them to have the unit preservation building (instead of relying on spells). if elves get the building then they will have essentially every advantage, which doesn't work out too well (unless they are balanced to need to use all the extra mana they produce to break even with the other factions, which would be silly).
    I don't the Rejuvination Chamber an offensive building at all. Basically, it allows your units to survive successive turns of weak to medium attacks. It also, I think, would have a hefty upkeep. I'm thinking 4 Gold +1 Mana +1 Food to justify the magically fast regeneration.

I picture the Orcs, Draconians, Dwarves, and maybe High Men as the agressive races in WoM. As such, they should not get such a defensive building. Meanwhile, the Grey Elves, Dark Elves, Insectoids and maybe High Men seem more reclusive, and thus would want to better develop their infrastructure to protect their cities. The elves and men also have slow to medium population growth, which would mean they would value each individual life more. I'm not sure where the insects are on the population growth scale, but a regeneration building makes perfect sense for that race regardless.

Ampoliros is the one who originally suggested this building (which I like, btw), so I'd really love to hear his thoughts on which factions should get it and perhaps some lore around it as well

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast