Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Buildings in WoM - Thoughts?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Troy, you're the one who came up with the name and what lore it has so far. I just suggested the effect. I hadn't really thought about what races should or shouldn't have it.

I will agree that I see it as more of a defensive building.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Troy, you're the one who came up with the name and what lore it has so far. I just suggested the effect. I hadn't really thought about what races should or shouldn't have it.
    Ha! Ok, well, I wanted to give you the credit I think it's a really cool idea.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    I don't the Rejuvination Chamber an offensive building at all. Basically, it allows your units to survive successive turns of weak to medium attacks. It also, I think, would have a hefty upkeep. I'm thinking 4 Gold +1 Mana +1 Food to justify the magically fast regeneration.

I picture the Orcs, Draconians, Dwarves, and maybe High Men as the agressive races in WoM. As such, they should not get such a defensive building. Meanwhile, the Grey Elves, Dark Elves, Insectoids and maybe High Men seem more reclusive, and thus would want to better develop their infrastructure to protect their cities. The elves and men also have slow to medium population growth, which would mean they would value each individual life more. I'm not sure where the insects are on the population growth scale, but a regeneration building makes perfect sense for that race regardless.

Ampoliros is the one who originally suggested this building (which I like, btw), so I'd really love to hear his thoughts on which factions should get it and perhaps some lore around it as well
    What about the Undead? From a lore point, it would make sense, but they are a more agressive race, right? I wonder how much they regenerate their units as it is.

Just jumping in again now that I have a little "extra" time.

What bonuses (if any) roads will give a city is still up in the air. In the long run I think there needs to be some bonus and even a Trade Route mechanic that helps makes diplomatic trade decisions more important. For instance, you may have a trade agreement with another sorcerer lord where both of you will get a gold bonus to cities in your empires connected to each other by roads. The roads will help facilitate trade. Of course, they also help facilitate invasion. So, the decision to build a road right up to your "ally's" city becomes one of real strategic importance.

On another note: The Unhallowed don't heal in the field without help from magic. Armies with a Huecuva in them will heal each turn do to their dark powers. Some of the buildings in their cities will also heal them. Either way, there is room for buildings that speed healing. The "Houses of Healing" if you will

Do keep in mind that not everything we want will make the initial cut. A lot of buildings will probably be released in future DLC.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

I'd like to see some sort of "toll-both" construction (could be a border fort or similar) that you could stick on a road to slow advancing armies. I literally never built roads in MoM because it made it far to convenient for enemies (or allies who then become enemies) to get to your cities before you can do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

What bonuses (if any) roads will give a city is still up in the air. In the long run I think there needs to be some bonus and even a Trade Route mechanic that helps makes diplomatic trade decisions more important. For instance, you may have a trade agreement with another sorcerer lord where both of you will get a gold bonus to cities in your empires connected to each other by roads. The roads will help facilitate trade. Of course, they also help facilitate invasion. So, the decision to build a road right up to your "ally's" city becomes one of real strategic importance.

On another note: The Unhallowed don't heal in the field without help from magic. Armies with a Huecuva in them will heal each turn do to their dark powers. Some of the buildings in their cities will also heal them. Either way, there is room for buildings that speed healing. The "Houses of Healing" if you will

Do keep in mind that not everything we want will make the initial cut. A lot of buildings will probably be released in future DLC.
    Point taken, Aaron. I do hope that you will find a way to include at least SOME new buildings in this game. I strongly feel WoM should improve and evolve beyond the limits MoM had to deal with in every facet. Buildings is one example.

Moving back to the Unhallowed for a moment because I somehow overlooked them previously: I regard them as a slower, more defensive faction until they reach a critical mass that explodes like a bursting pustule. As Aaron said, there's room for buildings to heal garrisoned units, so I'd say they would get a Rejuvination Chamber too (if it makes it in). So, let me develop the building list a bit further thanks to everyone's input:

-Butchery: This is a high end food building. +4 food per turn. Increases bonus from Wild Game by 50%. Requires Farmer's Market and Sage's Guild (someone has to teach the butchers how to properly harvest a carcass). Potentially built by Grey Elves, Dark Elves, High Men, Dwarves, Draconians, and Orcs.

-Fishery: Improves food and gold production from water squares near the city by 30%. Requires Farmer's Market and Shipyard. Potentially built by Grey Elves, Dark Elves, High Men, Dwarves, Draconians, Insectoids, and Orcs.

-Infirmary: Increases rate of healing for units garrisoned inside this city by 50%. This would stack with Animist Guild's bonus. Requires Barracks, Library, and Temple. Allows Ranger unit to be built. Potentially built by Grey Elves, Dark Elves, Insectoids, Unhallowed, Dwarves, and High Men.

-Pawnbroker: Increases city's gold production by 15% but causes +1 unrest. Requires Marketplace and Library. Potentially built by Dark Elves, Dwarves, High Men, Draconians, and Orcs.

-Rejuvination Chamber: Replaces Infirmary. At the beginning of the turn for this city's controller, all units garrisoned within the city are regenerated to full health. Requires Infirmary, University, and Parthenon. Potentially built by Grey Elves, Dark Elves, Insectoids, Unhallowed, and maybe High Men.

-Trading Post: Increases this city's gold bonus based on roads (exact method TBD). Requires Marketplace. Potentially built by all races with the possible exception of the Unhallowed.

-Wagoner's Guild: Increases this city's area of influence by one square in all directions. Requires Stables. Potentially built by all races.
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 09-06-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Just adding this as a suggestion for Cirno regarding Dark Elves:

-Slavers' Guild: Provides +1 Slaves per turn. Requires Marketplace. Possibly built by Dark Elves only.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Thanks for updating this thread, Aaron. I do want to add to the others who have expressed a desire to see at least a few new buildings in WoM. Thanks for all you do, man

Always keep in mind that we are going to be able to add things post-release with DLC.

Also, road forts are a good idea!
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

In another thread, kilobug wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by kilobug View Post
    Regarding the "no mana generating buildings" vs "how to handle unrest", we could have different unrest-reducing building that don't generate mana. Like they generate research point, or production, or food, or gold, or they just reduce unrest and don't do anything else.
    That's a good idea. What about a Monument builing? It would look like a simple obelisk that would commemorate the the greatness of the faction. An obelisk should be easy to create, so it might not cost a lot in the art budget and could work for multiple factions. It could reduce unrest in a city by one or two, perhaps? I really want unrest to be more a part of WoM than it was in MoM. In MoM, it was pretty easy to control one's population for most races just by building the religious buildings.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast