Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planar Bubble

Planar Bubble

Planar Bubble
    Circles: ?, Protection
    Description: The casting of the spell prevents planar travel by units not under the control of the wizard in a 5x5 area on the global map so long as the upkeep is paid.

Alright, this spell could prevent an invasion strategy I hadn't even considered before I saw the spell. Say that you have spells that allow you to travel between planes. You could gather several armies “around” a city, but on a different plane. When you're ready to attack you could plane shift and stomp the city to death. This spell could prevent that. Still, I think it will need a larger area of effect to be really useful.

Thoughts?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I think the bubble needs to be greater than the distance a unit can travel in one turn if we're going to have it. It's still not terribly useful unless you're checking the other planes every turn.

I think a different planar shift protection would be better - either a global cast on one entire plane, or make it only protect your own territory where units trying to plane shift to the protected plane or your territory are hit by _____ elemental damage. Maybe call the spell Chaotic Rift.

A lot of different directions to go here. You could call the spell Force Field and make it so opposing units and opposing spells cannot enter the bubble. As it is now, it seems like a Hold Person spell.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Blocking planar travel in a small area seems not useful enough. Either it should have a larger effect, like blocking unwanted planar travel around all your cities (or all your cities having a mage guild), or it should block more than planar travel, but like block planar travel and overland spells, or block planar travel and slow normal movement.

We may just want to shelf this idea until we've explored something like "Planar Seal". If a global spell can block all non-gateway planar travel this spell certainly isn't essential. On the other hand, it could be very useful if we beefed it up with a "slow" effect where enemy armies can only move one tile per turn while within the bubble.

Either way, let's push it back until the spell list is a little firmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Either way, let's push it back until the spell list is a little firmer.
    +1 for this idea

OK, I'm back here. A lot of ideas have evolved since we first talked about it. I can see it as being a useful (even if rarely used) protection spell. The fact is that using the separation of the planes to gather an army and then flood a city in a single turn is a valid strategy. I think we need a way to counteract that. I also think that sealing all the planes is overkill (and a very difficult way to go about it). So, let's say we change the name a bit, expand the reach of the spell OR shift it philosophically a bit.

Say that instead of extending it's reach we make it slow all units not under the caster's control to a single move within the bubble. So, in a 5X5 square around the city armies can't just "pop" into your plane. If they go to attack you then each step (there will be two between them and the city) will take a full turn.

Thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

So what you're suggesting it to remove all talk about planar travel from this spell and make it a mass slow around the target city?

If so, call it Bubble of Abatement : Air / Protection. Tier 4-6 depending on how much we want casting cost and upkeep to be.

Not quite. I mean, it will still prevent armies from crossing planes right beside your city.

I think it is clearly protection and somewhere in 4-6 sounds about right. I'm not sold on Air as the element though.

Any other suggestions with supporting arguments?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I'd vote for air or water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast