Thread: Energy Rift

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar

Energy Rift

Name: Energy Rift
    Circles: ?,?
    Description: Cast on a single tile. Opens a rift to another plane, causing energy to flood out. Positive or negative energy can be chosen. All units in an army entering the area is either healed or damaged, depending on energy used and whether living or not. Average upkeep in mana.

To make a tile heal, we have Wellspring already.
    As far as combining positive/negative in one spell... IIRC this idea has been shot down every time and split into 2 spells.
    -1 from me.

Same here. -1
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I could see a different spell called "Energy Rift". A chaotic spell that opens a rift from which both good and bad things can come out. Like, every turn, there is a chance a stack of neutral-but-hostile units come out from the rift, a chance creatures offer themselves to you (the wizard controlling the nearest city) for hiring, a small chance a minor magical item comes spawn, a chance nearby terrain is changed (in positive or negative ways), ...

Not sure it would be a good spell, but it's what poped in my mind when seeing the title, before seeing the description.

Quote Originally Posted by kilobug View Post
    I could see a different spell called "Energy Rift". A chaotic spell that opens a rift from which both good and bad things can come out. Like, every turn, there is a chance a stack of neutral-but-hostile units come out from the rift, a chance creatures offer themselves to you (the wizard controlling the nearest city) for hiring, a small chance a minor magical item comes spawn, a chance nearby terrain is changed (in positive or negative ways), ...

Not sure it would be a good spell, but it's what poped in my mind when seeing the title, before seeing the description.
    I think MoM had a spell called Chaos Rift or something that basically went like that. We probably don't have enough negative city enchantments, so that would be a cool way to change this spell

OK, I'm looking at moving this to the spell list. I like the basic idea of tearing a hole from one plane into another. It should probably be temporary or have upkeep. What should the exact effects be though? Should it spawn monsters from the "parent" plane? I think that would be a good tie to the Rift world feature. The created rift could also act as a gateway. If we run with that Fire should be one of the Circles. What should the other be?

Thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    This spell didn't get any traction before.

Unless Someone can come up with an entirely new pitch to resurrect it, I say -1.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    This spell didn't get any traction before.

Unless Someone can come up with an entirely new pitch to resurrect it, I say -1.
    +1 to this.

So, that's a +1 to a -1, lol.

OK, anyone want to try to bring this back from the dead? If not it's out. (I'll give you guys a few days to respond.)

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I think it should just be a spell to transport some selected units to whatever plane. Like [Fire] Rift can take people to the plane of fire. And maybe it has a chance of damaging the guys that go through it, if being a one way one use portal isn't enough to balance it.

Either that or it should be a way of spawning a group of independent elementals onto the map.

I think I'm just going to pull it for now. We're going to have similar spells to what you're talking about Happerry, but the name may or may not have "rift" in it, lol.