Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall of Flesh

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar

Wall of Flesh

Name: Wall of Flesh
    Circles: Death, ?
    Description: A spell that creates a wall of flesh around the targeted city. If the wall is breached, it heals the breach in a few turns. The wall may try to envelop enemy units in base contact with it and deal some damage.

I think we would all like an indestructible attack wall, but this might be OP unless it has some serious drawbacks, like Fire does 2x damage and prevents regen.

I love walls! But, this does seem too good. Maybe this should be a tactical spell instead?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I don't think it'll be that OP, since you need to cast it (and pay the upkeep) on every city. Just make it expensive, and it'll be the spell you cast only on a few strategic cities, and having capital or other strategic cities hard to take is good to me. Especially since there are flying units in the game, which gives a counter to all walls.

+1 kilobug

Also, it depends on what the battleboard looks like for city defense. If the city wall is as small as MoM's and there's no improvement in attack/defense mechanics, the type of wall won't matter. In my games, it was pretty rare that anyone even approached the city walls. Archers, mages, and enemy wizard lords make walls... quaint.

I didn't realize this was a city enchantment at first. I thought you could do it on any battlefield. This "regenerates over a few turns" is that turns during combat or turns during regular game play?

I think it should actually be combat turns.

Quote Originally Posted by WyldeRhide View Post
    I think it should actually be combat turns.
    You know, I think I might need some more information on how walls are breached in this game to give some intelligent feedback on this spell. If it's really hard, I might have trouble supporting a spell that makes it even harder. If any unit can attack a wall and destroy a section of it, then I would really get behind thing spell.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Agreed with needing more wall info.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    You know, I think I might need some more information on how walls are breached in this game to give some intelligent feedback on this spell. If it's really hard, I might have trouble supporting a spell that makes it even harder. If any unit can attack a wall and destroy a section of it, then I would really get behind thing spell.
    Frankly, I think this might be dependent on what kind of wall it is. If the wall is stone/metal, it ought to take siege machinery or magic to break it down. However, a wall of Flesh should be attackable by any slashing/cutting weapons (stabbing may not make much difference to it though).

Either way, I think the regeneration would have to take place over combat turns. Typically the battle for a city is decided in a single tactical combat. Unless the walls are _majorly_ buffed and require multiple stacks of armies to break the wall (e.g. you send several waves of armies at it in rapid succession), regenerating over full (non-combat) turns would be basically useless. I think buffing walls that much would be an awful idea and change the mechanics of battle far too much.

Wall breaches are basically going to work like they did in MoM. You've got a wall around the city keeping most things out. If a section of wall is knocked out units can pass through the gap. After a battle the wall is automatically repaired (or destroyed depending on how the battle went and what have you.)

I just don't think this one will fly very well even if we have it repair in just a couple of combat turns. Usually if a gap ends up in a wall attackers are going to pour through it...
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast