Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draconians, Insectoids, & Orcs: Any Last Thoughts?

Draconians, Insectoids, & Orcs: Any Last Thoughts?

Heya,

So far the Draconians, Insectoids, & Orcs have not been discussed by the backers nor claimed by the Giants who paid to design a race for Worlds of Magic. If you have any thoughts on any of these races before discussion of them kicks off, post it here. I know that I, personally, am interested in getting a broad viewpoint on these before we start to nail things down.

Peace,

-Troy
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Any suggestions on when to get any such last thoughts in by? I might have a few, but I'm pretty busy this weekend and wouldn't be able to do it justice without neglecting something else on a to-do list.

You can post your thoughts at any time. I think Troy was basically doing an all-call because they haven't been discussed yet (not necessarily because they're scheduled for a specific day).

If you post your thoughts before backers tackle the race, that'll be more info backers will draw on. If you post while the discussion is going on, it'll still be a data point, but some things might have already been discussed and hammered out.

Quote Originally Posted by Draxynnic View Post
    Any suggestions on when to get any such last thoughts in by? I might have a few, but I'm pretty busy this weekend and wouldn't be able to do it justice without neglecting something else on a to-do list.
    The backers have a lot going on with a couple other races right now and Aaron is SUPER busy trying to get the demo working. So you've got a good time to get your thoughts in. Please share them no matter what. I'd love to read what you have to say

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I liked the Draconians this forum came up with.
    Last edited by Happerry; 09-03-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Okay, I should be able to get cracking shortly, but before I do, there is one clarification that might help to frame my thoughts, as it's a pretty substantial question when thinking about racial design:

Most strategy games have the various races/factions/cultures possessing roughly the same potential for development. Some might be a little faster and more suited towards rushing while others are slower and have the potential to produce more powerful units in the end, but the differences are relatively subtle. As a well-known example, consider the zerg and protoss in Starcraft - typically the zerg are more rush-oriented while the protoss are more likely to want to build up towards top-end units, but the zerg player still has a decent amount of stuff to look forward to in the late-game. From what I've read, WoM seems to be going in this direction.

Master of Magic, on the other hand, carries a distinction between what I term "rushers" and "builders". "Rushers" - gnolls being perhaps the best MoM example - carry a strong early-game advantage, but they need to make use of this advantage early on, as their cities peak in their development relatively early in the game, to be relegated to income generators (via Trade Goods) or mid-tier unit factories. "Builders", on the other hand, still carry some requirement to expand in order to fund their development, but have a comparatively greater potential for development, including the availability of higher tier units - dark elves in MoM being probably the best example. Of course, there are some in between, such as beastmen, which reach a plateau where they can build their distinctive units early on, but still have the potential for further development.

So, the question is - is WoM to use the traditional system where each race has roughly the same potential for development (although some may be stronger at certain points in that development than others) or will it be similar to MoM where some races reach their maximum potential early on, and rely on their early-game strength to attain a decisive lead before the slower-developing races can out-develop them?

That's still being hashed out, and won't really be decided until we get some in-game playtesting data. So consider this game a blank canvass on which you can paint whatever you will

I'd like to see insectoids be high AC, low HP. Once you get past their chitin, they're easy to squish.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    overall i'd vote for insectoids to have high efficiency low level units, yet low efficiency high level units, and high efficiency low level infrastructure, with low efficiency high level infrastructure. this would lend them to win by numbers in both the battle map and the world map.

for draconians i'd say low efficiency low level units, high efficiency high level units, with high efficiency low level infrastructure, and low efficiency high level infrastructure. this would lend them a need for a large empire, but will not let them have large armies strong armies, but a small elite force could be very potent, and with the large empire they should split up the high level units and have them guard several cities. sorta like a dragon protector keeping watch over a section of the border, and when they go to war all coming together into a strong and nearly unstoppable force. defeating them is usually about avoiding the dangerous dragons and hitting the soft cities, kinda like sneaking into a dragons lair and smashing his eggs (or stealing his treasure) instead of confronting him directly.

as for orcs i'd like average efficiency units across the levels, with high efficiency low level infrastructure, and low efficiency high level infrastructure. that way when meeting them in battle you fear high level units, and low level units equally, however they should end up with much more low level units than high level ones, and they lend themselves to large empires that are moderately defended. when they go on the offensive they will either not commit totally, leaving their homes defended, but their war parties will be small with a good array of levels. if they fully commit, their homes will be undefended, and their war parties will massive hordes led by a handful of high tier units.

overall i'd vote for insectoids to have high efficiency low level units, yet low efficiency high level units, and high efficiency low level infrastructure, with low efficiency high level infrastructure. this would lend them to win by numbers in both the battle map and the world map.
    Interesting. I like it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast