Thread: Augur of Elannra

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar

Augur of Elannra

Name: Augur of Elannra
    Circels: Mentalism / Water
    Description: The caster is not affected by Fog of War. (must still have mapped tiles to see them)

Fog of War, what Fog of War?

This spell needs more explanation. What does it do and how does it work if you haven't mapped something? Also, does it affect all planes?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Normally you only have an accurate knowledge of the tiles your units and cities can see - because Fog of War sets in when you can't see a tile.

This spell would eliminate Fog of War for you while upkeep is paid. If you haven't mapped something, then the tile is still black.
    I would say it affects all planes.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    +1 for me, and yes should affect all planes.

I don't like the proper name in the title of the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Normally you only have an accurate knowledge of the tiles your units and cities can see - because Fog of War sets in when you can't see a tile.

This spell would eliminate Fog of War for you while upkeep is paid. If you haven't mapped something, then the tile is still black.
    I would say it affects all planes.
    Thanks! That clears it up a lot. I like the idea, but I am reminded of late-game MoM. In the late game, you have units and cities spread out everywhere, so a lot of the "fog of war" is lifted. As a result, the computer must animate all the troop movements of opposing sorcerer-lords. This can take FOREVER! With a spell like this, where all of the fog of war is gone, opponent's turns could be ridiculously long. If there's a way to shortcut the movement animations, then I'd support it. Otherwise, I'm concerned about how much this spell would bog down game play- perhaps even leading to program crashes because it uses up so much system resources.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnReeve View Post
    I don't like the proper name in the title of the spell.
    Can't say I'm a fan either. Some of the backers paid extra money to put a name on a city/item/hero/whatever. Adding proper names to spells and whatnot cheapens the privilege those backers paid for. I'm strongly against putting proper names in spells for this reason. I would suggest Augur of the Heavens as a replacement name.

Elannra happens to be the name already chosen by WI as the name of the world.

As far as the enemy moves. I hope there is the option to skip movement animations. Most games these days have this option.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Elannra happens to be the name already chosen by WI as the name of the world.
    I honestly didn't know that. Maybe we should have more things with that name in it. Otherwise, people might not ever guess!

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 from me, and +1 to affect all planes.

As I recall, there's a brewing debate on whether "Global" enchantments are specific to a plane or across all planes. That part of the spell should be decided along with the larger debate.

+1 for the spell though.