Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaotic Rift

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar

Chaotic Rift

Name: Chaotic Rift
    Circles: Destruction / Augmentation
    Description: Create a rift between Elannra (PMP) and one other plane you know how to travel to. The Rift has a X% chance to deal D8 damage of the element of the connected plane to each unit which travels between the 2 planes.

Here's a spell to try and stake a claim to an entire plane for yourself.
    Maybe it always does D8 - save for half... or if the X% stays, then maybe more than D8.

If this is supposed to help guard a plane for one's own use, then the damage should only hit enemy units, not all units. Also, does the damage stack from multiple sorcerer lords casting the same spell on the same plane?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Well, the guarding was the first use I thought of. I think it should remain all troops.
    I would think multiple Lords casting on the same plane would stack.

Okay, just for clarity, is the purpose of this spell to create a gateway/rift on the world map that you can link 2 planes and move troops through?

I've got mixed feelings on it in that incarnation. In MoM, there were ruins that linked the planes. You had to fight to clear those ruins, and then guard them so no one could follow.

With this spell, you could create a rift anywhere and move onto another plane en masse. For later-stage tactics, it could be incredibly OP. Drop a rift next to a rival's city, walk your armies through it, shut off the rift, and boom: instant siege. Also, you don't have to worry about anyone getting back across the rift (assuming they fought off your attack). I'd be more okay with it if you couldn't drop a rift inside another wizard's borders (if they're implemented from the previous discussion).

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

After re-reading the spell description, I'm really unclear as to the mechanics of moving between planes. Can you give an example of how it might work?

No, the intention is to make the ether between the 2 planes chaotic, thus damaging the units that travel between the 2 planes.

So if I know how to get to the Fire Plane I can cast Chaotic Rift on the Fire Plane. Then while the Rift is being up-kept any units that travel between PMP and the Fire Plane are subject to the Chaotic Rift, taking Fire damage in this example.

What about just traveling to the Fire Plane period? Because how many movement points would it take to go from PMP to Water to Fire? If it works like MoM, it wouldn't take any, right?

I hadn't thought of that...
    Good point.

Do we have a discussion thread on planar movement? I was assuming it was going to be handled like MoM did: portals from one plane to another without any special mechanism for transitioning.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    No, the intention is to make the ether between the 2 planes chaotic, thus damaging the units that travel between the 2 planes.

So if I know how to get to the Fire Plane I can cast Chaotic Rift on the Fire Plane. Then while the Rift is being up-kept any units that travel between PMP and the Fire Plane are subject to the Chaotic Rift, taking Fire damage in this example.
    Now I see. The spell name doesn't seem very clear. I'd envision this as a Protection spell that encompasses a specific plane. If you can get onto the Fire plane, let's say, then you can cast Planar Barrier on it which will have the effects listed. To me, Chaotic Rift seemed like a physical manifestation of planar travel (e.g. a portal), or at least a mechanism for moving between planes; not a buffer between planes that causes damage.

Now I see. The spell name doesn't seem very clear. I'd envision this as a Protection spell that encompasses a specific plane. If you can get onto the Fire plane, let's say, then you can cast Planar Barrier on it which will have the effects listed. To me, Chaotic Rift seemed like a physical manifestation of planar travel (e.g. a portal), or at least a mechanism for moving between planes; not a buffer between planes that causes damage.
    I like it as a protection spell too. We haven't done too many from that circle, and this seems like a good one to put there. I still think it should only affect enemy units, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    I like it as a protection spell too. We haven't done too many from that circle, and this seems like a good one to put there. I still think it should only affect enemy units, though.
    If it's a marginally top-tier spell, I agree that only damaging enemy units is good. At that point, it's almost like a Planar seal: weak in that it doesn't completely prevent others from switching, strong from the perspective of allowing you free movement while penalizing others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast